It got hairy at the end, you guys.
The 5-4 win over the Red Raiders gave Ole Miss its longest win streak in program history, making the Rebels winners of 18-straight dating back to last season. Gunnar Hoglund got the nod on the bump to start and got into the sixth before allowing a couple home runs, some walks and giving way to the bullpen, but overall, he was solid against an elite team on Sunday.
The Rebels fell behind 2-0 in the second inning before putting up a five-spot of its own, highlighted by Jacob Gonzalez’s first collegiate home run, a two-run laser into right field (editor’s note: I threw a full beer into the air in my home, disgruntled wife and all – worth it). Ole Miss also benefitted from some Texas Tech errors in the frame, but hey, take ‘em where you can get ‘em.
Tech battled back to make it 5-3 heading into the ninth, pushed a run across in the final inning and had the bases loaded with two outs before Braden Forsyth slammed the door shut with a deep fly out to right field. Ole Miss fans were clearly all holding their breath and clenching their unmentionables during this time, but hey, that’s baseball.
Don’t get it twisted: no wins in this gauntlet of a slate were going to be easy, but as of now, Ole Miss sits 2-0 on the weekend with another top-10 opportunity coming tomorrow. Coming out of this weekend with a 2-1 outcome is a big boost to the non-conference strength of schedule for later down the road, so tomorrow the Rebels are playing with house money and ultimately could extend a more than year long winning streak.
We’ll take it. That top-10 matchup comes against No. 9 Texas tomorrow at 3 p.m.
P.S. — Peyton Chatagnier had a dope tag out at second base where he leaped into the air. That’s our lead image on this story because it was v cool.
Website of source
- Colleges That Require Coronavirus Screening Tech Struggle to Say Whether It Works – The New York Times
- Colleges That Require Virus-Screening Tech Struggle to Say Whether It Works – The New York Times
- Gender Equality in Tech (GET) Cities Expands to DC to Diversify the Tech Ecosystem – Yahoo Finance
- Turkey Widens War Tech Hunt by Tapping Pakistan’s China Ties – Bloomberg
- Tech recruiting lessons in the Covid-19 era – Information Age
- Virtual tech event highlights local STEM professionals during WHAT I CAN BE! Tech Career Showcase – Herald-Mail Media
- Accenture’s Tech Push Makes It World’s Most Acquisitive Company – Bloomberg
- Tech Hosts Duke for Senior Night – Men’s Basketball — Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets – Georgia Tech Official Athletic Site
- No. 22/19 Tech set for final home game, takes on Cards – VT hokiesports.com