| Mississippi Clarion Ledger
No. 5 Ole Miss baseball defeated No. 4 Texas Tech 5-4 on Sunday to start the season 2-0. The win is Ole Miss’ 18th in a row dating back to last season, officially marking the longest win streak in program history.
Junior right-hander Gunnar Hoglund struck out 11 batters in 5 1/3 innings. He allowed three runs on three hits, two of which were home runs.
“I thought he was terrific,” Ole Miss coach Mike Bianco said. “Against a really, really good offense that makes you work, a team that’s super aggressive. They’ll handle the fastball, they’ll handle the breaking ball.”
The Rebels scored five runs in the third inning. Freshman shortstop Jacob Gonzalez provided the big swing with a two-run home run, the first of his college career. Catcher Hayden Dunhurst and outfielder Hayden Leatherwood each lifted RBI singles into right field in the inning as well.
Texas Tech cut Ole Miss’ lead to 5-4 in the ninth inning thanks to two walks and an RBI single. Junior Braden Forsyth entered in the top of the ninth with two outs and two runners on and walked the first batter he saw to load the bases. He retired Texas Tech’s cleanup hitter to end the threat and clear the win.
“Everyone’s going to be a little nervous, but I had complete confidence in our pitchers to get it done for us,” Gonzalez said. “Even when Luke Baker came in (in the ninth inning), he gave up a hit, but he did what he was supposed to do.”
The Rebels finish their three-game series on Monday at 2:30 p.m. against No. 10 Texas.
Contact Nick Suss at 601-408-2674 or [email protected] Follow @nicksuss on Twitter.
Website of source
- Colleges That Require Coronavirus Screening Tech Struggle to Say Whether It Works – The New York Times
- Colleges That Require Virus-Screening Tech Struggle to Say Whether It Works – The New York Times
- Gender Equality in Tech (GET) Cities Expands to DC to Diversify the Tech Ecosystem – Yahoo Finance
- Turkey Widens War Tech Hunt by Tapping Pakistan’s China Ties – Bloomberg
- Tech recruiting lessons in the Covid-19 era – Information Age
- Virtual tech event highlights local STEM professionals during WHAT I CAN BE! Tech Career Showcase – Herald-Mail Media
- Accenture’s Tech Push Makes It World’s Most Acquisitive Company – Bloomberg
- Tech Hosts Duke for Senior Night – Men’s Basketball — Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets – Georgia Tech Official Athletic Site
- No. 22/19 Tech set for final home game, takes on Cards – VT hokiesports.com