THE FLATS – No. 13 Kenya Jones and Gia Cohen collected singles wins, but it wasn’t enough as No. 12 Georgia Tech lost its first Atlantic Coast Conference match of the season in a 5-2 decision at home against No. 6 Florida State. Tech moves to 8-5 overall this year and 1-1 in league play.
DOUBLES – The Seminoles took an early lead clinching the doubles point with wins on courts two and three. Court three was the first to fall as Monika Dedaj/Rosie Garcia Gross lost to Petra Hule/Emmanuelle Salas, 6-3. Tech led 3-1 on two before Nandini Das/Andrea Garcia rallied to a defeat Gia Cohen/Ruth Marsh, 6-3. No. 5 Jones/Victoria Flores had a 5-4 lead on court one against Giulia Pairone/Victoria Allen prior to FSU clinching the doubles point.
SINGLES: Florida State took courts four, five and six in two sets each in singles to seal the win before the Yellow Jackets got on the scoreboard. No. 106 Allen and Hule took courts four and five, respectively, in a pair of 6-1, 6-2 showings. Garcia cemented the win for the Seminoles topping Carol Lee on court six, 6-3, 6-4.
No. 56 Flores led 4-0 in the first set on court two, but fell behind as Salas regained her composure to win 7-5, 6-3.
Cohen beat No. 92 Das in a close battle on court three. Cohen won the first set in a 7-6 (7) tiebreaker. In the second set it was all tied up at five a piece when Cohen took over in a 7-5 performance to give Tech its first point.
No. 13 Jones won the first set against Pairone 6-4, but Pairone answered back with a 7-5 advantage in the second. Jones was able to snag a 10-5 third set super tiebreak to give Tech a win on court one.
UP NEXT – The Yellow Jackets will head on the road and look to bounce back against Clemson on Saturday, Feb. 27. First serve is slotted for 2 p.m. at the Hoke Sloan Tennis Center.
1. No. 5 Kenya Jones/Victoria Flores (GT) vs. Giulia Pairone/Victoria Allen 5-4, DNF
2. Nandini Das (FSU) def. Gia Cohen/Ruth Marsh (GT) 6-3
3. Petra Hule/Emmanuelle Salas (FSU) def. Rosie Garcia Gross/Monika Dedaj (GT) 6-4
Order of finish: 3, 2
1. No. 13 Kenya Jones (GT) def. No. 27 Giulia Pairone (FSU) 6-4, 7-5, 1-0 (5)
2. Emmanuelle Salas (FSU) def. No. 56 Victoria Flores (GT) 7-5, 6-3
3. Gia Cohen (GT) def. No. 92 Nandini Das (FSU) 7-6 (7), 7-5
4. No. 106 Victoria Allen (FSU) def. Rosie Garcia Gross (GT) 6-1, 6-2
5. Petra Hule (FSU) def. Monika Dedaj (GT) 6-1, 6-2
6. Andrea Garcia (FSU) def. Carol Lee (GT) 6-3, 6-4
Order of finish: 4, 5, 6, 2, 3, 1
The Alexander-Tharpe Fund is the fundraising arm of Georgia Tech athletics, providing scholarship, operations and facilities support for Georgia Tech’s 400-plus student-athletes. Be a part of developing Georgia Tech’s Everyday Champions and helping the Yellow Jackets compete for championships at the highest levels of college athletics by supporting the A-T Fund’s Annual Athletic Scholarship Fund, which directly provides scholarships for Georgia Tech student-athletes, and Athletics Initiative 2020, Georgia Tech athletics’ ongoing $125 million initiative to allow Tech to recruit the nation’s most elite student-athletes, build a better student-athlete once they arrive on The Flats and, ultimately, win! To learn more about supporting the Yellow Jackets, visit atfund.org.
For the latest information on the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets, follow us on Twitter (@GT_WTEN), Instagram (GT_WTEN), Facebook (Georgia Tech Women’s Tennis) or visit us at www.ramblinwreck.com
Website of source
- Colleges That Require Coronavirus Screening Tech Struggle to Say Whether It Works – The New York Times
- Colleges That Require Virus-Screening Tech Struggle to Say Whether It Works – The New York Times
- Gender Equality in Tech (GET) Cities Expands to DC to Diversify the Tech Ecosystem – Yahoo Finance
- Turkey Widens War Tech Hunt by Tapping Pakistan’s China Ties – Bloomberg
- Tech recruiting lessons in the Covid-19 era – Information Age
- Virtual tech event highlights local STEM professionals during WHAT I CAN BE! Tech Career Showcase – Herald-Mail Media
- Accenture’s Tech Push Makes It World’s Most Acquisitive Company – Bloomberg
- Tech Hosts Duke for Senior Night – Men’s Basketball — Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets – Georgia Tech Official Athletic Site
- No. 22/19 Tech set for final home game, takes on Cards – VT hokiesports.com