Trainer retailer Foot Locker opened a new store in the US over the weekend that is supported by the Nike mobile app.
The so-called community ‘Power Store’ in Washington Heights was unveiled on Saturday 10 August, offering consumers various new features – including a connection to the Nike app which until now has only been linked up with the sports brand’s own stores.
A range of app-enabled experiences and services are available in the 9,000 sq ft shopping space, including Nike Scan that allows consumers to learn about and check inventory, and reserve online/pickup in-store.
There is also an “Unlock Box” which serves as a vending machine where NikePlus members can unlock free limited-edition items, and a “Shoecase” which provides members with early access to coveted trainer releases.
Foot Locker currently operates Power Stores in Detroit, Philadelphia, London, Liverpool and Hong Kong, and is expected to open more than a dozen new openings in this format in 2019. There are no announced plans to use the Nike app in these stores, but if successful in Washington it surely cannot be ruled out.
Frank Bracken, vice president, general manager for Foot Locker & Kids Foot Locker US, commented: “The launch of the Washington Heights Community Power Store serves as an opportunity for us to enhance the in-store customer experience by working in tandem with one of our strongest partners, Nike.
“We’re focused on creating immersive brand connections that are authentically tied to the neighbourhoods we serve. By partnering with Nike, we’re able to offer our customers a seamless and friction-less retail experience that will serve and engage the Washington Heights community beyond traditional brick and mortar capabilities.”
The Washington store also stocks ranges from multiple other brands, including Jordan, Converse, Adidas, and Puma.
But to mark the collaboration with Nike, Foot Locker will host a series of events this week for its members and NikePlus members, including workshops and group runs.
- Pandemic thriller Utopia on Amazon might be the perfect viewing
- 2021 Jaguar F-Pace refreshed with new styling, luxury and tech
- 2020 Halloween full moon: This year’s spooky spectacle brings a rare twist
- The best minimalist wallet for 2020
- NASA chief calls for prioritizing Venus after surprise find hints at alien life
- YouTube is adding a new Shorts feature to rival TikTok and Instagram Reels
- Paul Rudd, world’s youngest 51-year-old, tells fellow kids to mask up
- Jonathan Majors to join MCU as villain Kang the Conquerer, report says
- TikTok ban won’t prevent employees from being paid, US says in filing