A strange new Pokemon has been reported in Pokemon Go, and players aren’t sure if it’s a glitch, the Beldum they’ve been hearing about in leaks, a shiny Ditto, or just a placeholder for the end of Community Day in some regions that was never changed. It’s just labeled with question marks (“???”) and no on is sure what to think. Niantic hasn’t issued an official answer yet to what’s going on. Here’s what’s been reported so far by players, and what we know. If you’ve seen this strange new Pokemon also, leave a comment at the end of this story and let us know what you experienced.
The New Pokemon Appeared After Community Day in the APAC Region & It Was Everywhere
The new Pokemon was reported by trainers in the APAC region right after the three-hour Community Day window concluded, but then people in the United States started reporting it too. The Silph Road tweeted about the Pokemon as if it really is a new Pokemon and not a glitch. But it’s unclear at this point if that is the case.
Trainers in the regions where the new Pokemon have emerged are saying that it’s pretty much everywhere. Redditor _Corvus_ was one of the first to note it on The Silph Road subreddit, sharing the following photo:
Sadly, some people are reporting that this strange glitch is already gone, and the strange new Pokemon stopped appearing about 30 minutes after the event ended. We’re not sure if this is confirmed in all locations, however, because other people are reporting that they are still seeing it, just not as frequently as they were at first.
It Looks a Little Like the Beldum that Leaked, But Isn’t Acting Like a Regular Pokemon
It bears some resemblance to the Beldum that was leaked.
It’s not an exact match, but a little too similar to ignore.
Beldum is a Steel/Psychic Pokemon that evolves into a Metang, which then evolves into a Metagross. It’s a robotic Pokemon with a long body and claws that stick out of its rear, and one large red eye in its center. Some trainers reported that it looked like a red string of some sort was sticking out of the bottom of this new Pokemon. And it does look like it has an eye in its center.
However, the strange new Pokemon is changing into a Ditto in most cases, but sometimes also a Chikorita after it’s caught. So it wasn’t acting like you would expect a new Pokemon to behave.
(Read Heavy’s story about the Beldum leak here to see what we’re talking about.)
Trainers Reported Seeing It in Multiple Countries & Saying It’s Usually Turning into Ditto
Trainers reported seeing the Pokemon in areas including:
- Melbourne, Australia (Duskcsgo commented below that they caught 22 and all turned into Ditto)
- Darwin, Australia
- Berlin, Germany (reported by commenter Marlon below)
- Spain (reported by commenter Martin T below)
- Hawaii (reported by commenter Matthew Moran below)
- New Zealand
- Ohio, U.S.
- New York City, U.S.
- La Habra, California
- Spokane, Washington & Seattle, Washington
- Michigan (an anonymous commenter noted below that they caught two which turned into Ditto)
- Kentucky (Brandon reported in the comments that he and his wife caught one after 3 a.m. and both turned into Ditto)
- Indiana (David and his friends and wife caught it after 2:30 a.m. and it turned into a Ditto, he said in a comment below)
- Fairbanks, Alaska (shared by a commenter below)
- Houston, Texas (Syllabelle commented below that they found one that turned into a Ditto)
- Southern California (Phil found two that turned into Ditto)
- David (South Bend and Mishawaka Indiana around 4 a.m.)
- Far North Queensland Australia (A commenter caught 8 that all turned into Ditto, and were the only Pokemon on the radar at the time)
- Pennsylvania (ForcedUnknown caught one at 4 a.m. that was a Ditto)
- Mexico (Robert Medino is our first sighting from Mexico. His also turned into Ditto.)
If the reports from the continental U.S. are accurate, this might be a glitch that extended beyond Community Day, but that’s currently unclear.
Here’s a video that shows someone catching the Pokemon, which is just labeled “???” and then shows the Pokemon being labeled as a Chikorita after it’s caught. Click here to watch it. You can watch another video here.
This tweet also shows the strange Pokemon:
Redditor Charizardmain also shared this YouTube video from when he caught the cute Pokemon:
Here’s another look at the Pokemon:
Theories Abound, From a Bug to a Shiny Ditto & More
Theories about about this strange new Pokemon. Some are saying that they thought this was a new kind of Unown at first, but that’s not the case. Others were wondering if it was supposed to be a shiny Ditto. And still others are thinking it’s just a bug.
Some trainers are saying that this Pokemon only turns into Chikorita if you shiny-check it before it changes. They are saying that it will turn into Ditto unless you tapped onto a different Pokemon before catching it, in which case it will turn into that Pokemon. (Which, since it’s emerging after Community Day ends, is a Chikorita for many trainers.) This isn’t confirmed yet, however.
Another theory is that this a bug from the Chikorita event. Trainers like u/Comquack are wondering if there were simply spaces reserved for Chikorita spawning during Community Day, and this was a placeholder that took over when those spawns didn’t clear out.
Meanwhile, The Silph Road has reported that the audio file for this new Pokemon matches Kecleon:
Have you caught this strange new Pokemon? What was your experience? At this point in time, it’s not known if it’s some weird kind of glitch or a legitimate new Pokemon. But since some people are reporting that it’s no longer appearing, it might have just been a bug. We might get more hints if this happens against after Community Day ends in other regions. What do you think? Let us know in the comments below.
This is a developing story.
- [LLODO] Michigan state Dem pepper-sprayed, charged with DUI, resisting arrest, weapons possession: report
- [LLODO] Head of NYC’s posh Dalton School leaving at the end of 2021
- [LLODO] Chilling video captures moment a love triangle erupts in murder, revenge in NYC
- [LLODO] NYPD officers hit with Molotov cocktail and liquid chemical in face, police say
- [LLODO] California group files federal civil rights complaint over San Diego school district’s ‘racist’ teachings
- [LLODO] Podcast helped in hunt for 1996 killer of California student
- [LLODO] National weather forecast: Parts of Northeast could see more than a foot of snow
- [LLODO] Cuomo boasts he ‘invented’ NYS-scented hand sanitizer, faces no questions over scandals
- [LLODO] Teacher who decried NYC school’s ‘indoctrination’ put on remote work: ‘Feels like punishment’