If you were hoping for new Google hardware in 2019, you’re in luck — two devices with the codenames Salmon and Medaka popped up in the Android Open Source Project and the Lawnchair Launcher developer’s Twitter feed.
The two codenames were found in AOSP alongside Walleye, the codename for 2017’s Pixel 2. Lest you think that Salmon and Medaka are smartphones, notice how the top part includes the phrase “chin devices.” According to XDA Developers, that phrase normally refers to smartwatches with some sort of a chin cutout, similar to the Moto 360’s flat-tire look.
Android Police also noticed that two reviewers on the commit log work on Wear OS in some capacity.
— Till Kottmann (@deletescape) January 25, 2019
Adding credence to Salmon and Medaka being smartwatches is Lawnchair Launcher developer Till Kottmann’s tweet. In the tweet, Kottmann claims that Medaka is “most probably” the rumored Pixel Watch. He didn’t say what Salmon is, though it could be another variant of the Pixel Watch.
Lastly, salmon and medaka fish are two of the smaller fishes around. From a thematic standpoint, it would make sense to have them be codenames for smartwatches or some type of wearable.
What’s strange is that a previous report pegged the Pixel Watch with three codenames: Ling, Triton, and Sardine. At the time, the three devices were reportedly in the stage prior to mass production. Because of that, there’s a possibility that Google nixed all three devices.
Google itself said it didn’t have plans to launch its own smartwatch in 2018 and stayed true to its word. That said, the company might change its tune for 2019.
- DNC, RNC to test limits of virtual events as election enters final stage
- 2018 Cadillac CT6 owners get extended Super Cruise trial, report says
- Fortnite banned by Apple and Google: Everything you need to know
- Ted Lasso on Apple TV Plus: You don’t need to love soccer to love this comedy
- iPhone or Android? Your phone choice could be impacting your dating life
- Helter Skelter: An American Myth director Lesley Chilcott reveals the true Charles Manson
- 2021 Ford GT looks back on vintage endurance racing for Heritage Edition
- Get two free games worth $50 from Epic this week
- USPS is warning election officials that mail-in ballots may not arrive on time