WESTFIELD, Mass. (WWLP) – Almost 2 dozen western Massachusetts communities will be receiving money to expand broadband internet access.
20 western Massachusetts communities are getting money to help with its limited internet access.
Westfield Gas and Electric has received more than $10.2 million in federal grant funding to expand fiber-optic broadband internet access to more than 4,600 households in western Massachusetts.
Westfield Gas and Electric will receive the funding over the next decade and distribute it to participating towns.
The 20 Massachusetts communities benefiting from this award include Cummington, Leyden, Chesterfield, and Wendell.
One woman, who used to live in Goshen said internet access was always a problem.
Florence resident, Elizabeth Gunther told 22News, “When we first moved there, there really wasn’t any options. We had to get satellite internet which was hugely expensive and had strict data caps. They really need to the money to be able to do those last miles from the roads to people’s rural homes and that would bring those communities back into the modern age. “
Westfield Gas & Electric has previously received more than $19 million in support from the state’s Last Mile Infrastructure Grant program.
To be eligible for the funding, all towns were required to have a certain number of homes with the option to connect to the broadband system.
- The Year the Internet Thought I Was MacKenzie Bezos – WIRED
- Easy ways to get the fastest internet connection possible in your home – Komando
- Elon Musk says Starlink internet private beta to begin in roughly three months, public beta in six – TechCrunch
- Verizon is canceling home internet installations during the pandemic – The Verge
- Ethiopia’s internet shutdowns are disrupting millions of lives – Quartz Africa
- How to check if your service provider is throttling your internet – CNET
- 8 charts on internet use around the world as countries grapple with COVID-19 – Pew Research Center
- How to boost your home internet speeds while you’re stuck at home: Tech Support – Yahoo Money
- Welcome (Back) to the Appointment Internet – New York Magazine