Jammu and Kashmir has been under an unprecedented lockdown since August 4.
Landline connections have been restored in 17 telephone exchanges in the Kashmir Valley, including parts of Srinagar, this morning, news agency PTI reported, quoting officials. The phone lines are back nearly two weeks after restrictions were imposed in Jammu and Kashmir ahead of the government’s big move to end special status to Jammu and Kashmir.
Seventeen out of a little over 100 telephone exchanges in Kashmir have been made operational. Landline services have been restored in Budgam, Sonamarg and Manigam areas of central Kashmir. In north Kashmir, the services have been restored in Gurez, Tangmarg, Uri Keran Karnah and Tangdhar areas. In Srinagar, landlines are back in the Civil Lines area, Cantonment area and near the airport.
Meanwhile, mobile internet connections have been restored in five districts in the Jammu region. 2G mobile internet services are back in Jammu, Reasi, Samba, Kathua and Udhampur districts of the region.
Jammu and Kashmir has been under an unprecedented security cover and prohibitory orders banning large gatherings since August 4 – a day before the government announced that it was ending special status for the state and said it will bifurcate it into two union territories.
The administration had said that government offices in the state have become fully functional, listing measures taken by the administration to ease the restrictions. Schools will reopen from next week “area wise” and telecom services will be restored in a phased manner, Chief Secretary BVR Subrahmanyam said on Friday.
The centre on Friday told the Supreme Court that the ground situation was being reviewed daily.
As part of a complete communications blackout, phone services and internet connections were suspended in the Kashmir Valley and curfew-like restrictions are in place.
Almost 400 political leaders of the Kashmir Valley are under detention. Two former Chief Ministers – Mehbooba Mufti and Omar Abdullah – are among those who have been arrested.
(With inputs from PTI)
Get Breaking news, live coverage, and Latest News from India and around the world on NDTV.com. Catch all the Live TV action on NDTV 24×7 and NDTV India. Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter and Instagram for latest news and live news updates.
- Pandemic thriller Utopia on Amazon might be the perfect viewing
- 2021 Jaguar F-Pace refreshed with new styling, luxury and tech
- 2020 Halloween full moon: This year’s spooky spectacle brings a rare twist
- The best minimalist wallet for 2020
- NASA chief calls for prioritizing Venus after surprise find hints at alien life
- YouTube is adding a new Shorts feature to rival TikTok and Instagram Reels
- Paul Rudd, world’s youngest 51-year-old, tells fellow kids to mask up
- Jonathan Majors to join MCU as villain Kang the Conquerer, report says
- TikTok ban won’t prevent employees from being paid, US says in filing