Bad news, friends: Facebook appears to be down for a large number of users. Instagram, which is owned by Facebook, is reportedly struggling too.
Users of the social media platform began reporting issues around 11:11 a.m. EST, and it appears the outage has spread.
Multiple services, like Down Detector and Outage Report, have high numbers of users reporting the issues.
Outage Report’s map highlights the East and West coasts of the U.S. and Europe as the most affected areas of the outage.
Services tied to Facebook, like SocialFlow, have reported issues with the platform’s publishing API, too.
Facebook API is being reported as experiencing lag. Customers may experience delays or errors publishing to FB. We expect resolution soon.
— SocialFlow (@SocialFlow) October 11, 2017
Some users can access their News Feed, but are having issues posting updates and sharing on the network. Facebook’s Platform Status page, meanwhile, has reported healthy operations since Oct. 7, and for some users hasn’t been accessible since a little after 12 p.m. EST.
A smaller number of users are also experiencing technical difficulties on Instagram. The problem doesn’t appear to be as widespread as the Facebook issue, but Outage Report’s numbers have jumped up in the last hour for the IG, too.
Facebook is aware of the issue, but hasn’t provided any more information about what might be behind the outage. “We’re aware that some people are currently having trouble accessing Facebook and Instagram,” a Facebook spokesperson told Mashable in an emailed statement. “We’re working to get things back to normal as quickly as possible.”
This story is developing…
- [LLODO] Connecticut ambulance worker busted in string of Molotov cocktail attacks at EMS facilities, firehouse: police
- [LLODO] Ohio teen dies, another is partially paralyzed after sledding crashes on same hill
- [LLODO] Virginia Commonwealth University fraternity suspended after freshman student found dead
- [LLODO] California announces school reopening deal, offers $6.6B to districts that open by this date
- [LLODO] George Floyd case: Minneapolis won’t pay social media influencers during Derek Chauvin trial after backlash
- [LLODO] Giroir says states causing ‘irreparable harm’ to kids with ongoing school closures
- [LLODO] ‘TikTok Doc,’ former employer hit with $45M sexual assault, harassment suit
- [LLODO] California’s infamous ‘I-5 Strangler’ Roger Kibbe found dead in prison cell