If the HTC U12 Plus ($800 at Amazon.com) was too gutsy for its own good, the HTC U12 Life that the company debuted at the conference in Berlin is so tame, it echoes a phone from 2017: the Pixel 2 ($649 at Google Store).
In the U12 Life, HTC backs away from the U12 Plus’ squeezable side and static “buttons” that vibrate instead of press in. In its place, the U12 Life is all purple or blue eye-candy with a partial glass pane on the back that mimics the backing on Google’s flagship phone of 2017. (The Pixel 3 is expected as soon as Oct.9, by the way.)
From what we can see, HTC, which has always excelled at smooth, eye-catching smartphone design, has done a better job here than it did on the Pixel ($313 at Amazon.com) and Pixel 2 that the company also designed to Google’s specifications.
This “mimicry” is no real surprise, given HTC’s relationship with the Googs. In January this year,, who were already working on the Pixel phones, into the Googleplex. It isn’t clear how much of the Pixel’s design language would have flowed between the two companies before Google closed its HTC deal.
The HTC U12 Life, which will sell in Europe but not the US or Australia, is a midprice offering that will sell for £299. That price converts to $390 and AU$535. Apart from the Pixel-like backing, the U12 Life has some pretty compelling features for a phone of its quite reasonable price. There’s a large, 6-inch display, two rear cameras for portrait mode, expandable storage and a rare headphone jack. (See all specs below.)
We’ll be keeping tabs on this one; it’s shaping up to be an interesting contender in the midrange space.
HTC U12 Life specs
- 6-inch display with 18:9 screen ratio and 1,080×2,160-pixel resolution (FHD+)
- 16-megapixel and 5-megapixel dual rear cameras (f2.0)
- 13-megapixel front-facing camera (f2.0)
- Octa-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 636 processor
- 3,600mAh battery
- 64GB or 128GB internal storage
- 4GB or 6GB RAM
- microSD card slot
- Fingerprint reader
- Headphone jack
- USB-C charger port
- Android 8.1 Oreo
- Moonlight Blue and Twilight Purple colors
: The key announcements from summer’s biggest tech show
- [LLODO] Pennsylvania governor who required COVID masks be worn indoors bans alcohol sales night before Thanksgiving
- [LLODO] In a first for San Francisco, police officer who shot Keita O’Neil charged in killing
- [LLODO] AMERICA TOGETHER: Florida teen fixes American flags for local businesses
- [LLODO] Georgia recount signature-matching impossible despite demands from Trump, Republicans, says secretary of state
- [LLODO] Could Georgia Senate races keep Democrats’ court-packing hopes alive?
- [LLODO] Kentucky AG files restraining order against governor to block religious school closures
- [LLODO] Billionaire CEO vows to fight for working class against Big Tech censorship
- [LLODO] Two married Texas AG prosecutors shot, one fatally, at their El Paso home
- [LLODO] Oklahoma dispatcher dies from coronavirus complications