ALBUQUERQUE — Lexi Alcala and Thilo Roelofs of Los Alamos, were two of 31 high school students attending the Joint Science and Technology Institute, an educational opportunity to expand their knowledge and experience in science, technology, engineering and math.
Alcala, daughter of Lisa and Jermain Bracy, and Roelofs, son of Nina and Andreas Roelofs, are students at The Academy for Technology and the Classics in Los Alamos.
Alcala and Roelofs collaborated with mentors and conducted research activities on the University of New Mexico campus. Projects included rocketry, microbiology, protein synthesis and hazardous materials handling.
The educational activity, held June 9-21, was a fully funded research opportunity for high school students from across New Mexico. JSTI was sponsored by the Defense Threat Reduction Agency and managed by Oak Ridge Institute for Science and Education. The programs helped students gain confidence in their own abilities, provided an awareness of career options and encouraged pursuit of STEM careers.
The Oak Ridge Institute for Science and Education is a U.S. Department of Energy asset that is dedicated to enabling critical scientific, research, and health initiatives of the department and its laboratory system by providing world class expertise in STEM workforce development, scientific and technical reviews, and the evaluation of radiation exposure and environmental contamination.
- [LLODO] Michigan state Dem pepper-sprayed, charged with DUI, resisting arrest, weapons possession: report
- [LLODO] Head of NYC’s posh Dalton School leaving at the end of 2021
- [LLODO] Chilling video captures moment a love triangle erupts in murder, revenge in NYC
- [LLODO] NYPD officers hit with Molotov cocktail and liquid chemical in face, police say
- [LLODO] California group files federal civil rights complaint over San Diego school district’s ‘racist’ teachings
- [LLODO] Podcast helped in hunt for 1996 killer of California student
- [LLODO] National weather forecast: Parts of Northeast could see more than a foot of snow
- [LLODO] Cuomo boasts he ‘invented’ NYS-scented hand sanitizer, faces no questions over scandals
- [LLODO] Teacher who decried NYC school’s ‘indoctrination’ put on remote work: ‘Feels like punishment’