Google’s Street View project is one of the largest collections of 360 panoramas images available for public use. While most images are taken with the easily recognizable Street View cars, for off-road collection a contraption called the Street View Trekker is used. Today, the Street View team is announcing an upgraded Trekker that has shed a few pounds and improved on image quality.
The cameras on the new Trekker have a wider aperture and increased megapixel count. The Trekker’s back panel now features Google Maps branding, possibly to protect contributors from accusatory stares. It won’t stop you from looking like a cyborg, but at least with the new design, your back will hurt less if you decide to borrow one of these from Google to contribute to the project.
The old (left) and new (right) Trekker side by side
Google Street View is one of those 20% projects that has grown beyond what many may have expected. The ‘Trusted Photographer’ Program has helped a lot of businesses make walkthroughs of their establishments. Once Street View was opened up to user contributions, the volume increased even more. With the proliferation of small and cheap 360-degree cameras, of increasingly improving quality (Rita was recently impressed by Insta360’s One X), casual VR image capture has never been this accessible. With the release of this upgraded Trekker, Street View’s library of off-road panorama’s will only grow faster.
- [LLODO] This Day in History: March 1
- [LLODO] CA teachers union president who led school closure charge seen dropping daughter off at in-person preschool
- [LLODO] Cuomo claims he was being ‘playful,’ admits might have been ‘insensitive’ amid harassment allegations
- [LLODO] Cuomo battles growing bipartisan firestorm over sexual harassment allegations amid looming probe
- [LLODO] Cuomo sexual harassment allegations remain unaddressed by National Governors Association, which he chairs
- [LLODO] ‘Keep an eye’ on New York coronavirus variant, Fauci warns
- [LLODO] Girl, 4, found alone on NYC sidewalk is still unclaimed three days later
- [LLODO] NY restaurants and bars win court victory against Gov. Cuomo’s 11pm curfew