Another day, another dead Google product. Today, Google is discontinuing the Chromecast Audio. The company told Android Police it has stopped manufacturing the audio-only version of the Chromecast, so when the current stock runs out, the product will presumably be gone forever. Here is the full statement given to Android Police:
Our product portfolio continues to evolve, and now we have a variety of products for users to enjoy audio. We have therefore stopped manufacturing our Chromecast Audio products. We will continue to offer assistance for Chromecast Audio devices, so users can continue to enjoy their music, podcasts and more.
The Chromecast is a popular way to beam online media from one device to another. Buttons in YouTube, Chrome, Netflix, Spotify, Soundcloud, Facebook, and about a million other apps allow users to easily send media to a display or speaker.
While the HDMI version of the Chromecast is sticking around, the audio version, which connected to an existing speaker or sound system with a 3.5mm jack, is dead. Going forward, Google’s audio plans seem to mostly revolve around smart speakers like the Google Home and other devices with cast functionality built in. But the Chromecast Audio was a great way to tack on smart functionality to existing or exotic audio setups. It’s a shame it’s gone.
For now, the Chromecast Audio is still in stock at a few places, including the Google Store, which has the device for $15—that’s $20 off. I guess that makes it a clearance sale, so get it while you can.
- Moto G Fast vs. G Power vs. G Stylus: Motorola budget phones, side by side
- Apple Music vs. Spotify: The best music streaming service for you
- SpaceX splashdown replay: See NASA astronauts safely return to Earth
- NASA astronauts safely splash back down to Earth in SpaceX Crew Dragon
- Google Doodle celebrates Vicki Draves, Filipino American diver
- Microsoft to continue discussions on TikTok purchase after talking to Donald Trump
- NBA restart: How to watch Blazers vs. Celtics, Bucks vs. Rockets today without cable
- Extend your desktop to a 15.6-inch portable monitor for just $149
- Egypt to Elon Musk: Aliens didn’t build the pyramids, come see for yourself