As the U.S. government continues to escalate its draconian, racist, and xenophobic immigration policies (sorry, we’re not really in a mood to mince words about this shit today), it can be easy to let yourself feel overwhelmed and powerless by the casual, wanton cruelty of it all. Sometimes, though, the most you can do is something small—like helping a band you love raise money to support groups working to assist families who have been separated by ICE, or minor asylum seekers currently in detention.
Hence why we’re happy to shed a little light—being careful not to disturb the blue canary in the light switch—on a campaign being run this weekend by They Might Be Giants, raising money for RAICES Texas. Short for the The Refugee And Immigrant Center For Education And Legal Services, it’s an organization that works to provide legal support to people detained by the government on immigration and refugee issues. TMBG is selling a T-shirt this week to support the organization, with all proceeds going directly to the group.
(It doesn’t hurt that the shirt itself—featuring a woodcut design from Lindsay Riley based on a line from “Birdhouse In your Soul”—is honestly pretty great looking.)
The band—with a donation-matching agreement from Twilio CEO Jeff Lawson—has already raised more than $100,000 for the group, but the fundraiser is running until Monday. You can check out the shirt here, and look at the ways RAICES helps people here.
- [LLODO] Michigan state Dem pepper-sprayed, charged with DUI, resisting arrest, weapons possession: report
- [LLODO] Head of NYC’s posh Dalton School leaving at the end of 2021
- [LLODO] Chilling video captures moment a love triangle erupts in murder, revenge in NYC
- [LLODO] NYPD officers hit with Molotov cocktail and liquid chemical in face, police say
- [LLODO] California group files federal civil rights complaint over San Diego school district’s ‘racist’ teachings
- [LLODO] Podcast helped in hunt for 1996 killer of California student
- [LLODO] National weather forecast: Parts of Northeast could see more than a foot of snow
- [LLODO] Cuomo boasts he ‘invented’ NYS-scented hand sanitizer, faces no questions over scandals
- [LLODO] Teacher who decried NYC school’s ‘indoctrination’ put on remote work: ‘Feels like punishment’