After tests popped up throughout the summer, Gboard has now officially announced it is using on-device AI to provide suggestions for stickers, GIFS, and emoji based on what users are typing. It was always possible to search for such content through the keyboard, but this feature brings up suggestions automatically, alerting users via the Google button on the upper left hand side of the keyboard. Additionally, Google’s keyboard app gained support for 37 new languages, including new variants of Russian and Arabic, as well as several indigenous North American languages.
The AI suggestion feature, however, will only be available globally in English as of today’s server-side update. Google notes that the suggestions will come to more languages and more types of content “over time.” Indeed, over the past few months we’ve seen the suggestion feature activate for search results of popular celebrities as well.
The new languages are as follows:
Balkan Romani (Macedonia)
Bishnupriya Manipuri (transliteration)
Cree (Latin script)
Cree (Syllabic script)
Inuktitut (Latin script) – no dictionary
Inuktitut (Syllabic script) – no dictionary
Uzbek now split into (Latin script) and (Cyrillic script) options
This double shot of Gboard news ticks off two significant updates we’ve been waiting for, joining the addition of a clipboard manager — now we’re just waiting on what could be an enhanced speech interpreter and possibly more themes. Never a dull moment with Gboard.
- [LLODO] Michigan state Dem pepper-sprayed, charged with DUI, resisting arrest, weapons possession: report
- [LLODO] Head of NYC’s posh Dalton School leaving at the end of 2021
- [LLODO] Chilling video captures moment a love triangle erupts in murder, revenge in NYC
- [LLODO] NYPD officers hit with Molotov cocktail and liquid chemical in face, police say
- [LLODO] California group files federal civil rights complaint over San Diego school district’s ‘racist’ teachings
- [LLODO] Podcast helped in hunt for 1996 killer of California student
- [LLODO] National weather forecast: Parts of Northeast could see more than a foot of snow
- [LLODO] Cuomo boasts he ‘invented’ NYS-scented hand sanitizer, faces no questions over scandals
- [LLODO] Teacher who decried NYC school’s ‘indoctrination’ put on remote work: ‘Feels like punishment’