Excited about Samsung’s 10th-anniversary Galaxy S10? You should be. Leaks have revealed it has triple rear cameras, an ’ultrasonic’ in-display reader, gradient color schemes and a 5G option. That said, there’s a very good chance many will not like the new design…
‘Great Secret Features’ and ‘Nasty Surprises’ are my regular columns investigating the best features / biggest problems hidden behind the headlines.
Following Samsung’s admission that it will embrace display notches in new Galaxy smartphones, the assumption was this would not be the case for the Galaxy S10. Included with the notch designs Samsung revealed last week was the ‘New Infinity’, a notch-less, bezel-less display widely assumed to be for this special 10th-anniversary phone.
“The hidden camera technology under the screen is immature, and there is not enough light to reach the camera through the screen. The photos taken by the current camera are very blurred. This technology will not be realized until 2020.”
Instead, Ice says he understands the Galaxy S10 will use the ‘Infinity O’, a display with a single circular cutout for the camera which is in a very strange place.
Debatably, this should look better than a chunky notch (especially if it is centred) but it also confirms a further Galaxy S10 limitation: there is no place for a facial recognition sensor. And a leak last week did state Samsung will abandon new Face ID rivalling technology it had been developing for years.
Samsung is also tipped to remove the headphone jack next year.
Consequently, the Galaxy S10 may well be a more polarising device than the all-conquering phone many predicted. It also gives users ultimatums by trading out favourites like the headphone jack, notch-less design and facial recognition for an in-display reader, triple cameras and fancy new colours.
And those are not compromises many loyal Samsung fans expected to make…
Follow Gordon on Twitter, Facebook and Google+
More On Forbes
Samsung Pulling Headphone Jack From Galaxy S10?
Samsung’s Galaxy S10 Abandons Facial Recognition
Samsung Boast Hints At Final Galaxy S10 Design
Samsung CEO Reveals ‘Very Significant’ Galaxy S10 Upgrade
Galaxy Note 9 Vs Galaxy Note 8: What’s The Difference?
- [LLODO] Albany police station attacked by anti-police rioters throwing bottles at officers
- [LLODO] NYC school holding event on ‘raising our babies to value anti-racism’
- [LLODO] New York county top cop Geraldine Hart, first woman to lead the department, to step down
- [LLODO] Rams’ Aaron Donald ‘attacked’ and ‘punched’ man, broke his nose, lawyer says
- [LLODO] Killing a cat in a hit-and-run soon could become illegal in New Hampshire
- [LLODO] Fired Buffalo police officer who stopped fellow cop’s chokehold on Black suspect wins pension
- [LLODO] Missing Florida girl, 11, found at home of 22-year-old ‘boyfriend’; suspect facing child sex abuse charges
- [LLODO] Louisiana Coast Guard search: Crews yet to locate 12 missing after vessel capsizes as families hold out hope