Loot Lake has turned a bouncy purple and the world of Fortnite: Battle Royale is clearly preparing for something big. That big thing, however, is going to have to wait a few days. The start of Fortnite’s season 6 was already a little bit later than we would have guessed, with the in-game timer pegging it for Monday, but now Epic has pushed back the start time a few more days. Fortnite Season 6 now starts on Thursday, September 27, according to a tweet from Epic Games.
This makes a lot more sense: Thursday is the game’s current reset time, and Monday is a pretty odd time for a game to do its weekly reset, for whatever reason: this keeps the game’s current schedule, even if it means an extended Week 10 and now a full week without any new challenges in the game. It’s unclear what the reason is for the delay, but Epic’s blistering pace of development usually means that new features and changes are finished mere moments before they hit the game, and my guess is that the team just needed an extra few days to get everything ready for whatever is going to happen at the drop of Season 6/end of Season 5.
The developer is also giving out a huge experience bonus for these waning days of Season 5: from now until September 4th, players will get a whopping 400% match XP bonus. So if you’re still levelling up the Drift and Ragnarok Skins–which you probably are, considering the huge amount of experience required–this is a great opportunity to put in the time. I’m still a ways away from unlocking the final tier of my glowing Viking skull demon, but I’ve at least now got him an icy dragon to fly into battle, so that’s good.
This also means that we might get a little more structure to just whatever is going to go down for these waning days of Season 5. We’ve already had quite a lot of action with the weeks of Cubery creating low gravity fields and now a massive bounce pad, but we haven’t yet had a single defining event along the lines of the rocket launch. That doesn’t mean we definitely will, but it’s still a possibility. If something big is going to happen, it will likely happen this Saturday.
So stay tuned. Season 5 has been a weird one, but I’ve got high hopes for Season 6. We’ll just have to wait a few more days for it.
- COVID-19 Coronavirus Pandemic
- You may be able to spread coronavirus just by breathing, new report finds – Science Magazine
- Female scientists allege discrimination, neglect of research on women at NIH’s child health institute – Science Magazine
- Tribeca, shuttered by coronavirus, revives its VR festival: Smaller, virtual, free
- Friday freebie roundup: HBO, 1Password, PC games, Marvel comics, Cards Against Humanity
- Amazon extends its US returns window to May 31
- Mazda’s 100th anniversary bears tasteful special edition models
- ‘iPhone SE’ launching with 256GB, 4.7-in screen, and red, white and black colors, says report
- The best 2020 iPad deals: Amazon offers $53 off new 12.9-inch Pro