Microsoft only recently announced that its Edge browser would be coming to both iOS and Android — and now the company is making good on its promise. A preview version of Microsoft Edge (described by the software giant as “unreleased”) is now available on Google Play.
Based on Chrome’s Blink engine, Edge for Android has a particular treat for anyone using Windows 10 Fall Creators Update — they can take advantage of the “continue on PC” feature. This lets users start browsing the web on their phones, and then switch to a computer and pick up from where they left off.
As you would expect, data such as bookmarks are synchronized between your mobile and your desktop machine so everything should be familiar right from the offset. At the moment there is no support for extensions, but as this is listed as a preview, it’s entirely possible that their inclusion won’t be too far down the line.
Microsoft lists the following features as it attempts to lure people away from the likes of Chrome and Firefox:
- Continue on PC: Go anywhere and pick up where you left off by seamlessly moving content between your mobile device and PC (requires Windows 10 Fall Creator’s Update).
- Data Sync: Your favorites and reading list are synced across your devices, so no matter the device, your browser is always personalized to you.
- Hub View: With your favorites, reading list, history and books all in one place, finding and managing your content is made simple.
- Reading View: Reorganize the content on a webpage to make it easier to focus on what you’re reading.
- QR Code Reader: Easily read QR codes at the touch of a button. Microsoft Edge will pull up the reading and information right onto your screen.
- Voice Search: You can now use your voice to search the web. Ask a question or speak a prompt to use the web in more natural, familiar ways.
- InPrivate: When you browse with InPrivate mode, your browsing data (like your history, temporary internet files, and cookies) isn’t saved on your PC once you’re done.
You can download the Microsoft Edge preview from Google Play.