Canon has just announced the new Canon EOS RP mirrorless camera. It’s the smallest and lightest full-frame EOS camera ever made.
Compared to the EOS R, Canon’s first full-frame mirrorless camera announced in September 2018, the EOS RP is a lower-end camera that’s lighter on both your back and your wallet.
Inside the EOS RP is a 26.2-megapixel full-frame CMOS sensor, a small step down from the 30.3MP one found in the EOS R. Backed by the same DIGIC 8 image processor, the sensor features the same ISO range of 100-40000 (expandable to 50-102400). The continuous shooting speed is 5fps (down from 8fps in the EOS R).
The Dual Pixel CMOS AF system features 4779 autofocus points (compared to 5655 in the EOS R).
On the back of the EOS RP is a 0.39-inch, 2.36-million-dot OLED electronic viewfinder (the EOS R has a 3.69-million-dot one).
Under the EVF is a 3-inch, 1.04-million-dot Vari-angle touchscreen LCD (down from 3.15-inch and 2.1-million-dot on the EOS R) that supports Touch-and-Drag AF.
Like the EOS R, the EOS RP features a single SD UHS-II memory card slot.
On the video front, the EOS RP can shoot 4K at 25fps at 120Mb/s and with 8-bit color depth for both internal recording and with an external recorder. By comparison, the EOS R can do 4K at 30fps at 480Mb/s and up to 10-bit with an external recorder. And unlike the EOS R, the EOS RP doesn’t offer Canon Log.
Here’s a sample 4K video shot using the EOS RP:
In terms of size and weight (one of the main advantages), the EOS RP measures 5.22×3.35×2.76in (132.5x85x70mm) and weighs 17.11 oz (485g) with a battery and card — the camera is smaller than the Canon Rebel DSLR. By comparison, the EOS R measures 5.3×3.9×3.3in (135.8×98.3×84.4mm) and weighs 23.2oz (660g).
Other features and specs include focus peaking, 8.3-megapixel still photo frame grabs from 4K video, Wi-Fi/Bluetooth connectivity, built-in stereo microphones, 23 custom functions, water/dust resistance, a battery life of about 250 shots, and USB charging.
Canon has also unveiled a new EG-E1 extension grip for the camera that comes in black, blue, and red:
Here are some sample photos captured with the EOS RP:
Here’s a 3-minute video introducing the camera:
And here’s a video that looks more closely at the camera’s features:
The Canon EOS RP is available for pre-order starting now for $1,299for the body only with an extension grip and Canon mount adapter. You can also get the set bundled with a 24-105mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM lens for $1,699 or bundled with a 24-105mm f/4L IS USM lens for $2,199 (these prices include an instant rebate). The camera will ship and hit store shelves on February 27th, 2019.
- The Internet Is Breaking a Little From the Coronavirus – Slate
- COVID-19 exposes Maine’s need for more robust internet infrastructure – The Maine Campus
- As coronavirus cases surge across the U.S., the internet has one word for this image of a crowded beach: Florida – MarketWatch
- Surging Traffic Is Slowing Down Our Internet – The New York Times
- EARN IT Act Calls Internet Content Moderation Into Question – The Regulatory Review
- Internet Censorship During COVID-19 Is Threat To Cryptocurrencies And Liberty – Forbes
- Trump Won the Internet. Democrats Are Scrambling to Take It Back. – The New York Times
- Collective Cabin Fever Tops This Week’s Internet News Roundup – WIRED
- Akamai Looks To Ease Internet Traffic Soaring Amid Coronavirus Outbreak – WBUR