Apple is set to reboot the cult classic sci-fi series “Amazing Stories” from Steven Spielberg’s Amblin Television, Variety has confirmed.
A reboot of the anthology series was originally planned at NBC. Bryan Fuller will serve as an executive producer on the Apple version with Amblin’s Darryl Frank and Justin Falvey also executive producing. The 10-episode order for the series is part of a new content deal between Amblin, Apple, and Universal TV.
“It’s wonderful to be reunited with our colleagues Zack [Van Amburg] and Jamie [Erlicht] in their new capacity at Apple,” said Jennifer Salke, president of NBC Entertainment. “We love being at the forefront of Apple’s investment in scripted programming, and can’t think of a better property than Spielberg’s beloved ‘Amazing Stories’ franchise with the genius of Bryan Fuller at the helm and more exciting creative partnerships to come.”
“Amazing Stories” ran for two seasons in the mid-80s on NBC, garnering 12 Emmy nominations and winning five. Among those winners was John Lithgow, who won the Outstanding Guest Performer in a Drama Series award for the episode entitled “The Doll.” The series was also one of the first resume listings for names like “Homeland” director Lesli Linka Glatter and Pixar director Brad Bird. Spielberg himself also directed two episodes during the show’s first season in addition to co-creating the series.
Apple has been gearing up to enter the scripted series space, recruiting Sony Television bosses Van Amburg and Erlicht to oversee video content at Apple. In addition, former WGN America and Tribune Studios president Matt Cherniss signed on as head of development in August.
Apple has already begun rolling out original content, having previously launched the competition series “Planet of the Apps” in June. The series features judges Gwyneth Paltrow, Jessica Alba, will.i.am, and entrepreneur Gary Vaynerchuk. In addition, James Corden turned his late-night segment “Carpool Karaoke” into an Apple original series, which launched on Aug. 8.
- [LLODO] Illegal immigrants involved in deadly crash near US-Mexico border paid up to $10K each to be smuggled: report
- Award to The Arc Grants Access to Rett, Other Special Education Students – Prader-Willi News
- [LLODO] California Ghost Ship warehouse founder gets nine years in prison in inferno that killed 36
- [LLODO] Nevada Democratic Party staff quits after Democratic socialists sweep party leadership positions: report
- [LLODO] De Blasio targets March 22 in-person return for NYC high school students
- [LLODO] Capitol Police ‘understaffed, insufficiently equipped’ to handle violent mob: Lt. Gen. Honoré review
- [LLODO] Supreme Court rejects case over ‘qualified immunity’ for police
- [LLODO] Cuomo closes vaccine site tour to press, avoiding questions on allegations as top Dems call for resignation