In this week’s top stories: Apple releases more Spectre fixes, CES 2018, iPhone SE 2 rumors, Apple starts selling mesh Wi-Fi systems, and more. Read on for all of this week’s top stories and more…
Spigen TEKA RA200 Airpods Earhooks Cover
While Apple itself didn’t have an official presence at CES 2018, that doesn’t mean we didn’t see a host of announcements for Apple users. While HomeKit wasn’t as popular as Alexa or Google Assistant at the show, it was still introduced in a variety of products. Read all of the top CES stories below.
Also this week, Apple released iOS 11.2.2 with additional Spectre mitigations in Safari. This update comes in addition to the updates Apple released for its products in December. Apple released iOS 11.2.5 beta 5 to developers, as well as tvOS 11.2.5.
Description: iOS 11.2.2 includes security improvements to Safari and WebKit to mitigate the effects of Spectre
Elsewhere, Apple this week started selling a mesh Wi-Fi system on its online store. While this system is from Linksys, Apple’s own AirPort line remains unchanged amid speculation that it disbanded the team responsible for the products.
This week, we also reported on two instances of iPhone battery explosions – one in Spain and one in Switzerland. Apple also faced increased scrutiny from U.S. lawmakers regarding the iPhone slowdown controversy.
These and the rest of this week’s top stories below:
CES 2018 |
- 9to5Mac’s Best of CES 2018 Awards
- CES 2018: The fascinating world of strange knockoff Apple accessories
- Philips announces Hue 3.0 for iOS, Hue Sync for Mac, outdoor lighting coming soon
- Alpine unveils first 9-inch CarPlay head unit with floating design fit for most cars
- iDevices and Hubbell introduce Wi-Fi EV charger & Ceiling Fan Switch at CES 2018
- Brinks Home Security introduces Array Smart Light fixtures and locks at CES 2018
- You can now control HomeKit with a big red button thanks to Fibaro
- Incase announces IconConnected Power Sleeve for MacBook Pro w/ built-in 14,000mAh battery
- Netgear’s Arlo Baby Camera adds HomeKit video streaming support
- Elgato introduces rugged Thunderbolt 3 Mini Dock w/ 4K HDMI & DisplayPort, more
- Abode introduces Iota DIY HomeKit security system at CES 2018
- Orbit adds HomeKit support to its line of B-hyve smart irrigation products
- Canary releases $99 View indoor security camera with Alexa integration
- DJI reveals new Osmo Mobile 2 and Ronin S gimbal stabilizers ahead of CES 2018
- Belkin unveils new family of wireless chargers including dual pad, adjustable stand, more
- Satechi unveils its USB-C ‘Smart Dual Charging Station’ for iPhone and Apple Watch
- Belkin Wemo Bridge now available for $40, connects Wemo smart home accessories to HomeKit
- Nanoleaf announces massively upgraded light panels: square, smart, touch- and motion-sensitive
- Opinion: At CES 2018, third-parties are waiting for Apple to make the next move
Apple Watch | HomePod | Mac |
iOS | macOS | tvOS | watchOS
AAPL Company |
Subscribe to 9to5Mac’s YouTube channel for more videos.
This week’s top video |
Happy Hour Podcast #155 |
This week Benjamin and Zac discuss Apple’s entry in the video consortium behind AV1, iPhone SE 2 rumors and our headphone jack predictions, the need for more robust parental controls on iOS, the future of Apple’s AirPort hardware and selling mesh routers, and Siri’s latest tricks.
9to5Mac Daily |
Welcome to 9to5Mac Daily, a new podcast bringing you the latest in Apple news and top 9to5Mac stories every Monday through Friday. 9to5Mac Daily is available on iTunes and Apple’s Podcasts app, Stitcher, TuneIn, Google Play, or through our dedicated RSS feed for Overcast and other podcast players.
- 001: HomeKit at CES, HomePod launch, iPhone SE 2, and Safari Spectre fixes | 9to5Mac Daily
- 002: HomeKit ceiling fans, ‘floating’ CarPlay screens, Apple on iPhone addiction | 9to5Mac Daily
- 003: Apple’s fake news, AirPort and mesh Wi-Fi, Philips Hue updates | 9to5Mac Daily
- 004: Pandora podcasts, Dropbox’s IPO, and Siri’s sports skills | 9to5Mac Daily
- 005: Facebook’s feed, Waze in Ford, FM radio and CarPlay | 9to5Mac Daily