What is often overlooked about
Speaking to The Verge, Verizon has confirmed that in some case the new dual-SIM functionality integrated into Apple’s iPhone XS, XS Max and XR cannot deliver 4G or even 3G speeds and leaves customers stuck with antiquated 2G.
Verizon explains that any customer who inserts a Verizon sim card and then adds a primary number via the new eSIM slot, will find themselves limited to the carrier’s legacy 2G CDMA network services:
“If you are a Verizon customer and you activate another carrier’s service on your iPhone’s eSIM, your Verizon service will be degraded due to the current software configuration,” said the company in a statement.
Consequently, Verizon said it is suspending this service as it is affecting “our own customers’ iPhones with dual SIM capabilities as well as iPhones on competitors’ networks.” As it stands, rival carriers have yet to comment on Verizon’s claims but it is a frustrating development given the appeal of being able to have home/work or home/travel phone numbers on a single phone.
Furthermore, with Apple’s ongoing 5G iPhone problems another network issue is the last thing the company will have wanted.
The good news is Verizon confirmed it is in discussions with Apple about how to solve this and the carrier is hopeful a fix can be achieved “before the end of the year”.
In the meantime, customers would be wise to watch what contracts they sign up to as it could prove an expensive 2G-limited mistake. And we already know Apple’s new iPhones have enough hidden expenses already…
Follow Gordon on Twitter, Facebook and Google+
More On Forbes
Apple’s New iPhones Have Expensive Hidden Costs
Apple’s iPhone XS Delivers Massive 4G Speed Increase
iPhone XS Vs iPhone X: What’s The Difference?
iPhone XS Vs iPhone XS Max: What’s The Difference?
iPhone XS Vs iPhone XR: What’s The Difference?
iPhone XR Vs iPhone XS Max: What’s The Difference?
- [LLODO] New York City detectives’ widows call on Cuomo, Dems to fix bail reform law
- [LLODO] Capitol security review to recommend additional officers, fencing: report
- [LLODO] Louisiana dog burned in kennel fire becomes first canine to undergo new skin treatment
- [LLODO] Tomi Lahren: CPAC attendees’ message is they’ love Trump’ and want him to run in 2024
- [LLODO] Louisiana police officer shot, killed while escorting suspect from HS basketball game: reports
- [LLODO] Virginia police officer shot, killed during traffic stop; suspect in custody: reports
- [LLODO] Board members of Texas electrical grid operator resign after deadly winter storm, power crisis
- [LLODO] Yuma mayor says releasing detained migrants in Arizona will inundate city