Hundreds of fans have lined up at Apple stores to get their hands on the latest iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max which can cost up to £1,449.
Droves of iPhone fans queued outside the company’s UK flagship Regent Street store on Friday morning, hoping to be among the first to get their hands on the iPhone XS and XS Max, which chief executive Tim Cook unveiled earlier this month as Apple’s most-advanced iPhone yet.
There were also lengthy queues at stores in Singapore, Shanghai, Sydney, Dubai and Berlin among others.
Some of the first people to get their hands on the phones subjected them to ‘drop tests’ to check the handset’s durability.
Most customers pre-ordered their new handsets for collection ahead of the London store’s 8am opening, but about a dozen eager buyers without a reservation turned up to queue through cold and windy conditions on Thursday afternoon.
With the ability to pre-order and reserve a slot to collect the latest phones, fanfare at the Apple Store was less than earlier years of the iPhone, which saw hundreds of hopeful customers camping outside overnight.
“I just came really early, I was here at half past one in the afternoon,” explained the first customer to buy the handset.
“It’s completely sad but I needed an upgrade,” said a 19-year old student who also queued overnight.
“It’s gold, what’s not to love?” said another customer who participates in the ritual each year, waiting an hour in the pre-order queue.
“I always like to get a new bit of tech and flash it around the office a little bit.”
The XS and XS Max, which start from £999 and £1,099 respectively, have been available to pre-order for the past week but the XR – Apple’s cheapest new smartphone, at £749 – will not hit shelves until late October.
- [LLODO] California mother suspected of killing 3 kids ‘unwell’ for months, family member says; father ‘devastated’
- [LLODO] Armed naval officer reportedly kills himself after standoff in luxury Hawaii resort
- [LLODO] Florida woman who coughed on cancer patient sentenced to 30 days behind bars, mental health evaluation
- [LLODO] Baseball-sized hail threatens Alabama, tornado reported in Mississippi as severe storms hit South
- [LLODO] 11 suspects arrested in connection to Maryland child porn crimes
- [LLODO] Maryland Gov. Hogan calls Baltimore mayor’s plan to reduce police budget ‘reckless’
- [LLODO] Maryland Gov. Hogan vetoes bill that would do away with life-without-parole sentences for juveniles
- [LLODO] Florida hit-run kills NY federal judge, suspect claimed to be ‘Harry Potter’: police