After beginning the iPhone XR teardown process yesterday, iFixit has now shared its full inside look at the device. The site prefaces its teardown by saying that if you’ve been wondering what happened to the “iPhone 9,” the iPhone XR is it.
Sylvania HomeKit Light Strip
First and foremost, iFixit highlights the iPhone XR’s large battery size. As early reviews noted, the iPhone XR packs a punch in terms of battery life, and iFixit says that’s because it’s single-cell rectangular battery weighs in at 11.16 Wh. For comparison, the iPhone XS Max’s battery is 12.08 Wh, and it has far more pixels to push.
Elsewhere, iFixit offers some color on that pesky misaligned Lightning port along the bottom of the iPhone XR. This is apparently a “symptom of the thicker display” assembly used on the LCD iPhone XR:
The new “misaligned” Lightning port looks to be a symptom of the thicker display assembly. The LCD is less pricey, but its need for a backlight makes it bigger—which may have perturbed the port symmetry.
Another detail highlighted by iFixit is the single camera used on the iPhone XR, as opposed to the dual-camera system used by the iPhone XS. The wide-angle module itself on the iPhone XR is identical to the wide-angle model on the iPhone XS, which further confirms that it’s truly software powering features like Portrait Mode and Smart HDR.
One interestingly tidbit is that the iPhone XR features a modular SIM card reader, a first for the iPhone. What this means is it makes replacements of the SIM reader quicker and cheaper, and also reduces costs of replacing the logic board. It’s also likely tied to multi-SIM functionality in some way, but details there are sparse.
Ultimately, iFixit says that in many ways, the iPhone XR is a hybrid of sorts between the iPhone 8 and the iPhone XS:
A peek under the hood revealed design hallmarks reminiscent of both the iPhone 8 (rectangular battery, single layer board) and X (square-ish logic board, Face ID), making this the spiritual “iPhone 9.”
But the XR isn’t all throwback—it’s got the latest silicon, and contains features entirely new to iPhones. We found Apple’s first-ever modular SIM reader, possibly there to help with their newfangled multi-SIM plans.
Read the full iPhone XR teardown from iFixit right here.
Subscribe to 9to5Mac on YouTube for more Apple news:
- [LLODO] Buffalo schools fail kids when teaching that all White people play part in systemic racism: Rufo
- [LLODO] Andrew Cuomo allegations ‘abhorrent and heartbreaking,’ require independent probe, NY state Democrat says
- [LLODO] Reporter’s Notebook: Chicago pastor turns gangsters’ lives around with stunning compassion
- [LLODO] Several arrested in NYC during Daniel Prude protest
- [LLODO] HHS must investigate alleged Cuomo nursing home deaths cover-up, House Republican urges
- [LLODO] Cuomo seeks to fill communications job amid nursing home, harassment scandals
- [LLODO] New Hampshire Senate seat held by Hassan could be a possible GOP pickup in 2022: poll
- [LLODO] Meghan McCain calls Cuomo ‘pervert who has harassed women,’ demands immediate resignation