IT’S dangerous to use old versions of software on your devices, so here’s an easy guide to update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch.
With Apple recently suffering a major code leak, it’s more important than ever to make sure you’re running the latest version of iOS
Before you update
Before any major iPhone update, you should make sure to back up your phone.
That’s because things can easily go wrong during an update, and you’ll want to avoid losing your precious data – like photos or videos.
To do this, simply head into the iCloud settings on your iPhone and turn on the ‘iCloud Backup’ feature.
Alternatively, plug your phone into iTunes and choose the ‘Backup Now’ option.
How to update iPhone wirelessly
The easiest way to update your iPhone is wirelessly – just follow these simple steps:
- Plug your iPhone into a power socket, and connect to a Wi-Fi network
- Tap Settings > General > Software Update
- Tap ‘Download and Install’
- Tap ‘Install’ to update immediately, or tap ‘Later’ and choose ‘Install Tonight’ to update while your phone is plugged in overnight
- You may have to enter your passcode
If you don’t have enough space for the update on your phone, Apple may ask you if it can temporarily remove some apps from your phone.
But don’t worry: Apple will reinstall any deleted apps, including any data you had stored on those apps.
How to update iPhone using iTunes
If you’d rather do a manual update using a wired connection, that’s easy enough too.
- First, install the latest version of iTunes on your computer
- Then connect your device to your computer using the supplied USB cable
- Open iTunes and select your device
- Click ‘Summary’, and then click ‘Check for Update’
- Click ‘Download and Update’
- You may be asked to enter your passcode
‘BIGGEST LEAK IN HISTORY’
Why you need to update your iPhone NOW
February’s Black Moon could be the apocalypse – but is best time to cut your nails
BLACK TO THE FUTURE
Some people just won’t accept that the first Brits had black skin
CORE OF THE PROBLEM?
Apple engineer says pressure to design iPhone is reason I’m divorced
Here’s how far back in time you’re going when you look at constellations
You may find that you don’t even need to update your iPhone, because there are no new software versions available.
But it’s worth regularly checking for new updates, because Apple often includes important security fixes that keep you safe from hackers.
If you’re using an old version of iOS on a device, you may be vulnerable to cyber-attacks, so it’s always best to install new updates as soon as they become available.
We pay for your stories! Do you have a story for The Sun Online news team? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 0207 782 4368 . We pay for videos too. Click here to upload yours.