Apple has quietly introduced “trust scores” for people based on how they use their iPhones and other devices.
In an update to its privacy, Apple said the rating system could be used to help fight fraud, though specific examples of how this would work were not given.
The provision, first spotted by Venture Beat, appears in an update to the iTunes Store and Privacy page and comes ahead of the release of the iPhone Xs and iPhone Xs Plus on Friday, 21 September.
“To help identify and prevent fraud, information about how you use your device, including the approximate number of phone calls or emails you send and receive, will be used to compute a device trust score when you attempt a purchase,” the page reads.
“The submissions are designed so Apple cannot learn the real values on your device. The scores are stored for a fixed time on our servers.”
The method is reminiscent of an episode of the dystopian TV series Black Mirror, in which people are rated on their interactions with other people.
In the episode, Nosedive, the ratings are used to determine a person’s socioeconomic status, affecting their access to healthcare, transport and housing.
The comparison to the episode was noted by people on social media, with some calling it “dangerous”.
The disclosure of the device tracking fits in with Apple’s promise to provide transparency regarding its collection of user date.
The vagueness of the language used in the update, however, means it could be interpreted in a broad and potentially invasive way. It is also unusual that it is applied to Apple TVs, which are unable to make or receive emails or phone calls.
A spokesperson for Apple was not immediately available for comment.
- [LLODO] Michigan state Dem pepper-sprayed, charged with DUI, resisting arrest, weapons possession: report
- [LLODO] Head of NYC’s posh Dalton School leaving at the end of 2021
- [LLODO] Chilling video captures moment a love triangle erupts in murder, revenge in NYC
- [LLODO] NYPD officers hit with Molotov cocktail and liquid chemical in face, police say
- [LLODO] California group files federal civil rights complaint over San Diego school district’s ‘racist’ teachings
- [LLODO] Podcast helped in hunt for 1996 killer of California student
- [LLODO] National weather forecast: Parts of Northeast could see more than a foot of snow
- [LLODO] Cuomo boasts he ‘invented’ NYS-scented hand sanitizer, faces no questions over scandals
- [LLODO] Teacher who decried NYC school’s ‘indoctrination’ put on remote work: ‘Feels like punishment’