This isn’t exactly Big news. After all, with the COVID-19 causing coronavirus (SARS-CoV2) now officially a pandemic and rapidly spreading, it was only a matter of time before someone well-known came down with SARS-CoV2.
Make that two well-known people: the married couple of Tom Hanks and Rita Wilson. Today, Hanks, a movie star and producer, posted the following on Instagram:
That’s not a picture of someone trying to climb out of a wastebasket but rather it’s a discarded medical glove. The following statement accompanied the photo:
“Hello, folks. Rita and I are down here in Australia. We felt a bit tired, like we had colds, and some body aches. Rita had some chills that came and went. Slight fevers too. To play things right, as is needed in the world right now, we were tested for the Coronavirus, and were found to be positive.
Well, now. What to do next? The Medical Officials have protocols that must be followed. We Hanks’ will be tested, observed, and isolated for as long as public health and safety requires. Not much more to it than a one-day-at-a-time approach, no?
We’ll keep the world posted and updated.
Take care of yourselves!
While “you’ve got SARS-CoV2” is not great news, it certainly doesn’t necessarily mean dire consequences. Estimates of case fatality rates have been running in the 1% to 3.4% range, which is certainly significantly higher than that of seasonal flu but at the same time significantly lower than that of SARS as the graphic in this tweet shows:
Nothing in Hanks’ post suggested that he or his wife have any of the more concerning consequences of COVID-19 such as pneumonia, severe acute respiratory syndrome, or kidney failure that I described previously for Forbes. So they may get through it with just a splash of time under the weather.
Regardless, it seems like they did the right stuff: they got tested for the new coronavirus. Nowadays, with the pandemic, it’s better to be safe than sorry. Even if you don’t suffer any bad consequences from carrying the virus, you may pass it along to others who could fare worse. They also didn’t do a run, Forest, run after getting a positive test. Instead, they seem to be remaining in isolation as long as real medical professionals tell them to do so.
Again with the virus spreading around the world and no vaccine available, expect more news of people whom you know getting infected. This may include friends, family, and more celebrities. It’s time to cast away misconceptions about this virus, this disease, and this pandemic. This is not a virus that just Chinese citizens get. This is not a virus that just those of East Asian descent get. This is not simply an immigrant disease. This is not a hoax. After all, why exactly would Sheriff Woody be involved in a hoax?
- Public health expert warns virus not going away – KSAT San Antonio
- Tesla asks employees to resume production at Fremont car plant despite coronavirus health orders – CNBC
- Major health groups and charities urge Trump to reverse World Health Organization funding decision – CNN
- Public health officials push back on May opening | TheHill – The Hill
- Analysis | The Health 202: Los Angeles is racing to discover the true coronavirus infection rate – The Washington Post
- Some Public Health Officials Not Releasing Coronavirus Hospitalizations : Shots – Health News – NPR
- Covid-19 health-care crisis could drive new developments in robotics, editorial says – The Washington Post
- Lost Your Health Insurance During the COVID-19 Crisis? Here Are Your Options – The Motley Fool
- El Paso virus cases jump to 35 as health leaders warn of increased risk of ‘community spread’ – KVIA El Paso