An epidemiologist answers the biggest questions she’s getting about coronavirus.
New York is offering a special enrollment period for New Yorkers to enroll in health insurance coverage through the state’s health marketplace or directly through insurers, in light of the public health emergency around coronavirus.
This step was taken to help minimize residents’ fear around costs for coronavirus testing and medical care, according to a state release.
Individuals can enroll in plans until April 15.
The previous enrollment period ended on Feb. 7. People who enroll between March 16 and April 15 will have coverage starting on April 1.
Coronavirus testing won’t break the bank: New York to waive all test-related fees
Individuals eligible for other New York State of Health programs like Medicaid, Essential Plan and Child Health Plus can enroll year-round.
Gov. Andrew Cuomo directed health insurers to waive cost sharing for coronavirus testing earlier this month.
“With a pandemic spreading through the U.S., it’s important to ensure that healthcare is available to everyone who needs it,” said Donna Frescatore, Executive Director of NY State of Health, the state’s health marketplace.
“This special enrollment period will provide New Yorkers with another opportunity to sign up for high-quality, affordable health insurance.”
For updates from New York’s Department of Health on public health information and guidance, go to www.coronavirus.health.ny.gov.
The department has implemented a novel coronavirus hotline at 1-888-364-3065.
Sarah Taddeo is the consumer watchdog reporter for USA Today Network’s New York State Team. She investigates stories about your consumer rights, including scams, negligent landlords, safety issues and wayward businesses.
Got a story tip or comment? Contact Sarah at [email protected] or (585) 258-2774. Follow her on Twitter @Sjtaddeo. This coverage is only possible with support from our readers. Sign up today for a digital subscription.
Read or Share this story: https://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/news/2020/03/28/did-you-lose-your-health-insurance-ny-re-opened-its-health-exchange/2933719001/
- Public health expert warns virus not going away – KSAT San Antonio
- Tesla asks employees to resume production at Fremont car plant despite coronavirus health orders – CNBC
- Major health groups and charities urge Trump to reverse World Health Organization funding decision – CNN
- Public health officials push back on May opening | TheHill – The Hill
- Analysis | The Health 202: Los Angeles is racing to discover the true coronavirus infection rate – The Washington Post
- Some Public Health Officials Not Releasing Coronavirus Hospitalizations : Shots – Health News – NPR
- Covid-19 health-care crisis could drive new developments in robotics, editorial says – The Washington Post
- Lost Your Health Insurance During the COVID-19 Crisis? Here Are Your Options – The Motley Fool
- El Paso virus cases jump to 35 as health leaders warn of increased risk of ‘community spread’ – KVIA El Paso