The email from the hospital does not specify whether the patient is affiliated with the university.
WATCH: How to properly wash your hands
Hospital officials said they are following protocol by isolating the patient.
“Senior hospital leadership and leaders from our infectious diseases and infection prevention teams, along with other expert clinicians, are working closely with local, state and federal health officials and continue to apply up to date recommended guidelines,” the hospital said. “We have the utmost confidence in the dedicated and highly trained team composed of nurses, physicians and other health care professionals who are providing care for this patient.”
There are four confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Illinois, with the most recent two cases being a husband and wife.
The man is being treated at Northwest Community Hospital in Arlington Heights. How he was infected is unclear, but he then spread it to his wife.
She is in isolation at home. Both are in good condition.
Cook County public health officials, along with Governor JB Pritzker addressed the growing number of cases in our state:
“We are ready to put the weight of the state behind a full-fledged response when needed and if we meet those thresholds,” Governor Pritzker said.
There are now four testing labs in Illinois preparing for an influx of samples as officials call for expanded testing of patients with flu-like symptoms.
Officials said close to 300 people in the state are actively being monitored twice a day for possible symptoms.
The first two cases of COVID-19 in Illinois, also a husband and wife, have both made a full recovery, health officials said.
There are now more than 100 cases across the U.S. with six fatalities, with all of the deaths occurring in Washington state.
Copyright © 2020 WLS-TV. All Rights Reserved.
- Public health expert warns virus not going away – KSAT San Antonio
- Tesla asks employees to resume production at Fremont car plant despite coronavirus health orders – CNBC
- Major health groups and charities urge Trump to reverse World Health Organization funding decision – CNN
- Public health officials push back on May opening | TheHill – The Hill
- Analysis | The Health 202: Los Angeles is racing to discover the true coronavirus infection rate – The Washington Post
- Some Public Health Officials Not Releasing Coronavirus Hospitalizations : Shots – Health News – NPR
- Covid-19 health-care crisis could drive new developments in robotics, editorial says – The Washington Post
- Lost Your Health Insurance During the COVID-19 Crisis? Here Are Your Options – The Motley Fool
- El Paso virus cases jump to 35 as health leaders warn of increased risk of ‘community spread’ – KVIA El Paso