PHILADELPHIA – A cardiologist working for the Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia has been diagnosed with the novel coronavirus, officials announced Monday.
Numerous schools, including Lower Merion School District, announced closures due to possible exposure to the coronavirus.
According to the Lower Merion School District (LMSD), two students and a staff member may have been exposed to COVID-19 during visits to the CHOP facility in King of Prussia. Those students and the staff member will be under quarantine for 14 days.
As a precaution, all LMSD schools will be closed on Tuesday, March 10, for sanitizing. Special attention will be given to public spaces and high-touch surfaces, such as keyboards, railings and door handles.
The CDC said the three individuals pose no risk of transmission since they are not showing any symptoms, according to the LMSD.
“However, out of an abundance of caution,” Superintendent Robert Copeland wrote in a statement, “All LMSD schools will be closed on Tuesday, March 10, for additional sanitizing.
On Friday morning, Pennsylvania Gov. Tom Wolf signed a disaster declaration to grant state agencies more freedom to use resources to respond to the virus, the administration said. Officials in Delaware and Montgomery counties signed similar disaster declarations.
The map below illustrates where confirmed cases of the COVID-19 virus exist across the world. See mobile version here.
For the latest local news, sports and weather, download the FOX 29 News app.
DOWNLOAD: FOX 29 NEWS APP
- Public health expert warns virus not going away – KSAT San Antonio
- Tesla asks employees to resume production at Fremont car plant despite coronavirus health orders – CNBC
- Major health groups and charities urge Trump to reverse World Health Organization funding decision – CNN
- Public health officials push back on May opening | TheHill – The Hill
- Analysis | The Health 202: Los Angeles is racing to discover the true coronavirus infection rate – The Washington Post
- Some Public Health Officials Not Releasing Coronavirus Hospitalizations : Shots – Health News – NPR
- Covid-19 health-care crisis could drive new developments in robotics, editorial says – The Washington Post
- Lost Your Health Insurance During the COVID-19 Crisis? Here Are Your Options – The Motley Fool
- El Paso virus cases jump to 35 as health leaders warn of increased risk of ‘community spread’ – KVIA El Paso