The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has confirmed the 15th case of the coronavirus in the U.S.
The patient is among a group of Americans who had been evacuated from Wuhan, China, and is the first under federal quarantine at a military base in Texas.
They are being isolated and receiving medical care at a nearby hospital.
Nearly all of the confirmed coronavirus cases in the U.S. have been individuals who had recently traveled in China.
The U.S. has evacuated and quarantined more than 800 Americans from Wuhan since the outbreak started last month.
Nearly 200 evacuees were released from a quarantine site in California earlier this week.
More than 600 evacuees from Wuhan are still in federal quarantine across the U.S. and are being closely monitored to contain the spread of the virus, the CDC said.
About 45,000 cases of the coronavirus has been confirmed in China, and 441 others have been identified outside of the country.
The Trump administration credits its “aggressive” measures with keeping the number of cases in the U.S. low, including declaring a public health emergency and banning the entrance of foreign nationals into the country who have recently traveled in China.
The CDC will begin working with health departments in five cities to test individuals with flu-like symptoms for the coronavirus.
- Most coronavirus cases are mild, complicating the response – The Washington Post
- Coronavirus may have much longer incubation period–which would mean quarantines have been too short – The Hill
- Coronavirus contagion fears in Silicon Valley – Vox.com
- Map: New coronavirus tool compares growth of virus to SARS, H1N1 and Ebola – The Mercury News
- Reporting on the Coronavirus: Spreading Truth, Not Panic – The New York Times
- Update: ‘A bit chaotic.’ Christening of new coronavirus and its disease name create confusion – Science Magazine
- Images of new coronavirus just released – Livescience.com
- How the Coronavirus Numbers Changed So Sharply – The New York Times
- Coronavirus disease 2019 – World Health Organization