MONTGOMERY COUNTY, Pa. – Health officials announced eight presumptive positive cases of novel coronavirus in Montgomery County.
According to officials, since Monday afternoon, the county discovered three new presumptive positive cases of coronavirus.
“The first case is an adult female, age 18, who resides in the same household as a previously identified presumptive positive individual in Lower Gwynedd. Her symptoms are mild and do not require hospitalization. She is in isolation at home and is being monitored. She attends Germantown Academy and contact tracing for this individual is complete,” Montgomery County Board of Commissioners Chair Valerie A. Arkoosh, MD, MPH, said at a Tuesday press conference.
Dr. Arkoosh said the second case is an adult female, age 62, who resides in the same household as a previously identified presumptive positive individual in Upper Merion. She is currently hospitalized in isolation at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania and contact tracing has been complete.
The third case identified is a 70-year-old woman, who resides in Cheltenham Township. She is currently hospitalized in Philadelphia. According to officials, the contact tracing for this case is not fully complete. Dr. Arkoosh says at this time they are unable to determine how this individual became infected. If the health department is unable to determine how the patient got the virus this will Montgomery County’s first instance of community spread. Dr. Arkoosh stressed they have not completed the contact tracing.
FULL COVERAGE: CORONAVIRUS
A cardiologist working for the Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia in King of Prussia has been diagnosed with the novel coronavirus, officials announced Monday. The doctor was taken to the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania. Officials said the patient tested presumptive positive after “known international exposure.” The diagnosis prompted multiple school closures. For a full list a school closures, please click here.
WHAT WE KNOW
All 12 people who tested positive live in eastern Pennsylvania.
Eight are residents of Montgomery County, including a cardiologist working for the Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia at a King of Prussia facility. Others are residents of Monroe, Delaware and Wayne counties. Those who are not hospitalized are at home in isolation, officials said.
Health Secretary Rachel Levine said the state isn’t recommending that large gatherings be canceled.
On Friday morning, Pennsylvania Gov. Tom Wolf signed a disaster declaration to grant state agencies more freedom to use resources to respond to the virus, the administration said. Officials in Delaware and Montgomery counties signed similar disaster declarations.
The map below illustrates where confirmed cases of the COVID-19 virus exist across the world. See mobile version here.
For the latest local news, sports and weather, download the FOX 29 News app.
DOWNLOAD: FOX 29 NEWS APP
- Public health expert warns virus not going away – KSAT San Antonio
- Tesla asks employees to resume production at Fremont car plant despite coronavirus health orders – CNBC
- Major health groups and charities urge Trump to reverse World Health Organization funding decision – CNN
- Public health officials push back on May opening | TheHill – The Hill
- Analysis | The Health 202: Los Angeles is racing to discover the true coronavirus infection rate – The Washington Post
- Some Public Health Officials Not Releasing Coronavirus Hospitalizations : Shots – Health News – NPR
- Covid-19 health-care crisis could drive new developments in robotics, editorial says – The Washington Post
- Lost Your Health Insurance During the COVID-19 Crisis? Here Are Your Options – The Motley Fool
- El Paso virus cases jump to 35 as health leaders warn of increased risk of ‘community spread’ – KVIA El Paso