Unit 9 grade 9: English In The World – Communication
1. Task 1 Unit 9 Grade 9 Communication
Make notes about yourself. (Complete the note about yourself)
1. How long have you been studying English?
2. What do you remember about your first English class?
3. What English exam have you taken?
4. Why do you like learning English now?
5. Which English speaking countries would you like to visit?
6. What do you think your level of English is now?
7. How can you improve your English outside of the classroom?
8. What do you want to use English for in the future?
9. What do you like about the English language?
10. What do you not like about English?
Guide to answer
1. I have been learning English for 6 years. (I’ve been studying English for 6 years now)
2. We were excited about the games the teacher gave.
(We were very excited about the games the teacher gave us.)
3. I have taken the oral examination in English. (I just took the English oral exam)
4. Because it is useful for my future. (Because it’s useful for my future)
5. I would like to visit England, Australia, and America. (I will visit England, Australia and America.)
6. I think my level is intermediate. (I think my level is average)
7. I join English club to improve my speaking and practice writing everyday.
(I join the English club to improve my speaking and practice writing every day.)
8. I would like to use English to travel or for work in the future.
(I want to use English for travel in the future)
9. It is the first language in many countries so it’s convenient for people to communicate.
(It is the mother language in many countries, so it is very convenient for people to communicate.)
10. It has too many words. (It has too many vocabulary)
2. Task 2 Unit 9 Grade 9 Communication
Work in pairs. Take turns to ask and answer the questions in 1. Make notes about your partner. How many things do you have in common? (Work in pairs. Take turns asking and answering the questions in Unit 1. Make notes about your friend. How much do you both have in common?)
3. Task 3 Unit 9 Grade 9 Communication
Work in groups. Tell your group the things that you and your partner have in common. (Work as a team. Tell your group what you and your friend have in common.)
Guide to answer
My partner and I would like to visit England and Australia in the future. So I think we will plan a trip one day together and try to learn English so that we won’t face the language barrier. We would also like to join English club to improve speaking and make new friends. (My partner and I both want to visit England and Australia in the future, so I thought we’d plan a trip someday and try to learn English without the language barrier. We also want to join the English club to improve our speaking and make new friends.)
4. Practice Task 1
Find the mistake in each sentence.
1. The man for (A) who the police (B) are looking (C) robbed (D) the bank last week.
2. Today, (A) the number of people (B) whom moved into this city (C) is almost double (D) that of twenty years ago.
3. They work (A) with (B) a person (C) his name (D) is John.
4. (A) The man (B) whom you (C) are looking for (D) living in this neighborhood.
5. (A) His father warned (B) him not (C) repeating (D) that mistake again.
5. Practice Task 2
Supply the correct form of verbs.
1. If we meet at 9:30, we (have) ________ plenty of time.
2. If you (find) _________ a skeleton in the cellar, don’t mention it to anyone.
3. The zookeeper would have punished her with a fine if she ( feed) _________ the animals..
4. If you pass your examination, we (have) ________a celebration.
5. Lisa would find the milk if she (look) _________ for it in the fridge.
At the end of the lesson, students need to practice asking and answering questions about learning English and finding common ground between them and their neighbors, then tell the whole group about these things in common.