Unit 6 grade 9: Vietnam Then And Now – Communication
1. Task 1 Unit 6 Grade 9 Communication
Read the posts on Viet Travel Forum (VTF) from people who visited Vietnam a long time ago. (Read the articles on Viet Travel Forum of people who have visited Vietnam.)
The first time I was in Ho Chi Minh City was in 1983. Most people ride bicycles and there are very few motorbikes on the road. Ten years later, when I returned, the city had changed dramatically, with 800,000 motorbikes and two million bicycles on the road.
Kate from Russia
In 1995, I came back to Vietnam after 30 years and to my surprise, the population is 3 times higher, but the country is no longer illiterate. The country has also become one of the largest rice exporters in the world, which surprises me.
Charles from France
I went to Hanoi in August 1997, two years after Vietnam joined ASEAN. The road system in Hanoi was very simple at that time. It has changed dramatically over the past 18 years. Overpasses and tall buildings mushroomed!
Peter from USA
2. Task 2 Unit 6 Grade 9 Communication
Read the posts on Viet Travel Forum (VTF) and retell them to your friends. (Re-read the articles and tell your friends.)
Guide to answer
– Kate comes from Russia. She said that the first time she had been in Ho Chi Minh city was in 1983. Most people traveled by bike and there are a motorbikes on the streets. After a decade, she came back and realized that the city had been changed a lot with nearly 1 billion motorbikes and 2 million bikes on the road.
– Charles is from France. He said that the first time he had been to Vietnam was in 1965. He said that many people were/had been illiterate then but he was amazed that after nearly 30 years there was no more illiterate although the population had tripled. He was also surprised to know that the country was one of the largest rice exporting countries.
– Peter is from America. He said that he had gone to Ha Noi in 1997 when Viet Nam had been part of ASEAN for two years. He was shocked/astonished to see that so much had changed over the last 18 years. The flyovers and high-rise buildings were mushrooming.
– Kate is from Russia. She said that the first time she came to Ho Chi Minh City was in 1983. Most people travel by bicycle and there are a few motorbikes on the street. After a decade, she returned and realized that the city had been changed a lot with nearly 1 billion motorbikes and 2 million bicycles on the road.
– Charles is from France. He said that the first time he came to Vietnam was in 1965. He said many people were illiterate but he was surprised that after nearly 30 years there were no illiterate people even though the population nearly tripled. He was also surprised to learn that the country is one of the largest rice exporters.
– Peter is from America. He said he went to Hanoi in 1997 when Vietnam had joined ASEAN for two years. He was shocked/surprised to see that a lot has changed during the last 18 years. Overpasses and buildings have sprung up like mushrooms.
3. Task 3 Unit 6 Grade 9 Communication
Work in groups. Use the suggestions in the table to write as many posts as possible about the recent changes in Vietnam that you have heard of or read about. Remember to use adjectives or adverbs to modify the changes. (Work in groups. Use the prompts in the table to write articles about recent changes in Vietnam that you have heard. Remember to use adjectives and adverbs to clarify changes.) )
Guide to answer
I was told about Vietnam in 1992 by my mum. There were mostly manual labor and agricultural productions. 12 years later, when I came back, the country had dramatically changed, there were more technology and equipment and more industrial production too.
Last year, I went back to Ho Chi Minh city after 20 years and to my surprise, there were more services. There were also many opportunities for university (inside and outside the country), which were another surprise for me.
I was told about Vietnam in 1992 by my mother. Mainly manual labor and agricultural production. 12 years later, when I returned, the country had changed dramatically, with more technology and equipment and more industrial production.
Last year, I returned to Ho Chi Minh city after 20 years and to my surprise, there are more services. There are also many opportunities for universities (domestic and foreign), which was another surprise for me.
4. Task 4 Unit 6 Grade 9 Communication
Present your group’s posts to other groups (Present your group’s work to other groups)
5. Practice Task 1
Circle the correct answer A, B, C or D.
Question 1: It _____ that the first temple was built on the current site of Thien Tru in the 15th century during the reign of Le Thanh Tong.
A. thinks B. is thinking C. is thought D. thought
Question 2: The fashionable store is an attraction in the city __ the product quality is nice.
A. when B. because C. though D. but
6. Practice Task 2
Find the word which has a different sound in the part underlined.
Question 1: A. never B. often C. when D. tennis
Question 2: A. needed B. watched C. stopped D. talked
At the end of the lesson, students need to support each other in the group to complete an essay about recent changes in Vietnam and confidently present it to the class; Also memorize the following words:
- decade /ˈdekeɪd/ decade
- illiterate /ɪˈlɪtərət/ illiterate
- triple /ˈtrɪpl/ 3 times
- mushrooming /ˈmʌʃrʊmɪŋ/ as much as mushrooms
- manual /ˈmænjuəl/ manually, manually