Unit 3 grade 9: Teen Stress And Pressure – Communication
1. Task 1 Unit 3 Grade 9 Communication
Read about the necessary life skills for teenagers in the United States. match the skills to their category (Read about essential life skills for teenagers in the United States. Match their skills.)
Guide to answer
1 C 2. REMOVE 3. EASY 4. A 5. E
first. Social skills, communication skills
+ Cooperate with others and resolve conflicts
+ Have good communication skills
2. Cognitive skills, awareness
+ Strong planning and organizational skills
+ Focus and self-discipline
3. House cleaning and care skills
+ Prepare food, do laundry and do housework
+ Small budget management
+ Understand basic car operation
4. Emotion control skills
+ Identify and control your emotions
+ Coping with negative emotions
5. Self-care skills
+ Develop healthy habits
+ Know how to act and assist in an emergency
Understand the boundaries of risk
2. Task 2 Unit 3 Grade 9 Communication
Do we teenagers in Vietnam need all or some of these skills? Why/Why not?
(Do young Vietnamese need all or some of these skills? Why? Why not?)
Guide to answer
Yes, of course. Because modern life requires each person to constantly improve his or her value. Having life skills is extremely important to anyone to survive and develop. At the same time, it is a requirement to learn, and to train regularly to improve the quality of life.
Yes, of course. Because modern life requires each individual to continuously improve their self-worth. Having life skills is extremely necessary for anyone to survive and thrive. At the same time, it is also necessary to continuously study and practice to improve the quality of life.
3. Task 3 Unit 3 Grade 9 Communication
In groups, work out a similar list of skills that Vietnamese teens should have today. Add or remove categories and skills as you wish and remember to support your decisions with examples and explanation. Present your list along with other groups and make a common list for the whole class. (Work in groups to come up with a list of skills that young Vietnamese should have. Add or omit if you want and remember to give examples with explanations. Present the list to other groups and give Make a list for the whole class. )
Guide to answer
first. Self-care: become more independent and mature in life, develop healthy habits, know what to do in emergencies
2. Social skills: This is necessary for negotiating, making network and relationships.
3. Emotional control skills: for rational actions in every context and making correct decisions
4. Cognitive skills: For comprehension and making a correct action, as well as understanding knowledge
first. Self-care skills: becoming independent and mature in life, building healthy habits, knowing what to do in an emergency
2. Social skills: essential for negotiation, relationship building
3. Skills for controlling emotions: right actions and wise decisions
4. Cognitive skills, awareness: understanding and making the right decisions as well as learning to improve knowledge
4. Task 4 Unit 3 Grade 9 Communication
Look at the list of life skills for teens that your class has developed (Look at the list of life skills.)
What skills do you already have?
What skills do you need to develop?
Share with your friends.
Guide to answer
I already social skills and housekeeping skills. I can cooperate pretty well with other people; therefore, I usually do well in teamwork. I can also do almost all the housework and manage a small budget. My parents give me an allowance per week and I will plan on how to spend this amount of money most effectively. However, I need to develop emotion control skills because I easily lose my temper become angry with everything when I have troulble. I think that these two skills are very important for me to become an independent individual.
I had social skills and housekeeping skills. I can cooperate quite well with others; Therefore, I usually do well in group work. I can also do almost all the housework and manage a small budget. My parents give me an allowance each week and I will plan how to spend this money most efficiently. However, I need to develop the skill of controlling my emotions, because I get angry easily and become irritable with everything when I have some trouble. I think these two skills are very important for me to be an independent individual.
5. Practice Task 1
Choose the best option to complete the sentence.
Question 1: Physical changes are different for every, so you don’t need to feel embarrased or______
A. frustrated B. tense C. confident D. delighted
Question 2: I wish my parents could put themselves in my ______
A. situation B. shoes C. feelings D. heart
6. Practice Task 2
Choose a word whose underline part is pronounced differently from the others.
Question 1: A. columnist B. frustrated C. study D. adulthood
Question 2: Ahelpline B.empathise C.embarrassed Ddepressed
At the end of the lesson, students need to support each other in groups to list useful life skills for today’s youth and confidently present in front of the class and memorize the following vocabulary words:
- social skills /ˈsəʊʃəl/ /skɪl/ social skills, communication skills
- control /kənˈtrəʊl/ control
- cope /kəʊp/ confront, confront
- cognitive skill /ˈkɒgnɪtɪv/ /skɪl/ cognitive skill, perception
- housekeeping skill /ˈhaʊsˌkiːpɪŋ/ /skɪl/ cleaning skills, taking care of the house
- cooperate /kəʊˈɒpəreɪt/ cooperate
- emotional skill /ɪˈməʊʃənl/ /skɪl/ emotion control skill
- self – care skill /sɛlf/ – /keə/ /skɪl/ self-care skill
- allowance /əˈlaʊəns/ allowance
- individual /ˌɪndɪˈvɪdʒuəl/ individual