Unit 2, grade 9: City Life – Communication
1. Task 1 Unit 2 Grade 9 Communication
a. Which of the following features do you like best about a city? Choose three from this list. (Which of the following features do you like best in a city? Choose 3 from the following list.)
first. It is busy and exciting. (It’s busy and exciting.)
2. It is cosmopolitan. (It is ethnically and culturally diverse.)
3. It has a lot of fashionable shops. (It has many fashion stores.)
4. It is cultural.There are cinemas, theatres, galleries, and museums. (It’s cultural. There are many cinemas, theaters, galleries, and museums.)
5. It is convenient.There is a good transport system. (It’s convenient. There’s a good transportation system.)
6. There are good cafes and restaurants. (There are many cafes and shops.)
7. There are a lot of parks and open space. (There are many parks and open spaces.)
8. There are famous buildings and fascinating neighborhoods. (There are many famous buildings and attractive adjoining neighborhoods.)
b, Work in groups. Discuss your choices. Give reasons. (Work in groups. Debate the options and explain why.)
I like an interesting and busy city with good traffic, so that I can get around and visit all the cultural attractions it has to offer.
Guide to answer
first. I love the citties with many interesting places such as cinemas, theaters, galleries, and museums. Because I can go there to relax and entertain with my friends and family at the weekends.
2. A city with good cafes and restaurant always attracts me most as I would like to spend my free time hanging out with my friends to chit – chat and enjoy foods.
3. I would like to live in a city with a lot of parks and open space because I can live and work in a fresher atmosphere.
first. I love cities with lots of interesting places like cinemas, museums, theaters, exhibitions. Because I can go there on weekends with friends and relatives for fun and entertainment.
2. The city with many good cafes and restaurants has always attracted me the most because I like to spend my free time gathering with friends to chat and enjoy delicious food.
3. I like living in a city with lots of parks and cool spaces, because I can live and work in a cleaner atmosphere.
2. Task 2 Unit 2 Grade 9 Communication
Read the passage and, in your group, answer the questions below. (Read the passage and answer the following questions in groups.)
Singapore is a small city-state in Southeast Asia. It is a lovely place to visit. The attractions are quite close to each other, so traveling between them is convenient. The food here is varied – all kinds of Asian food. The outdoor food markets are fun and affordable. You order your food, and it is cooked right before you. Then you go and eat it at a table outside. It’s a great way to meet people. But what I like most about Singapore is that it is multicultural – Chinese, Malay, Indian, European, and Vietnamese. For me, that’s the best thing about Singapore.
Question: What is the best attraction in Singapore, according to the writer? Would you like to go there? Why?
Singapore is a small independent city in Southeast Asia. It is a place worth visiting. The attractions are very close to each other, so moving between locations is very convenient. The food here is varied – all different types of Asian food. Outdoor food courts are fun and affordable. You choose your dish, and it is cooked right in front of you. You will then enjoy it at the outdoor table. It’s a great way to meet people. But what I like most about Singapore is that it is multicultural – Chinese, Malay, Indian, European and Vietnamese. To me, that is the most fascinating thing about Singapore.
Question: What is the best attraction in Singapore according to the author? Do you want to go there? Why?
Guide to answer
– According to the writer, the best attraction in Singapore is that it is multicultural.
– Yes, I would because people say that it is one of the cleanest countries in the world, I would like to see it.
3. Task 3 Unit 2 Grade 9 Communication
Read the information about three cities and try to find them on a map. (Read the information about the following 3 cities and find them on the map.)
first. Vung Tau
Location: South Vietnam
– long Beach
– there are many mountains
– quiet and clean
– many temples and pagodas
– ancient lighthouse (built in 1907)
2. New York City
Location: Northeastern United States
– fashion and financial center
– cosmopolitan city properties
– Statue of Liberty
– Central Park
– many museums and galleries
Location : South East Australia
– large number of international students
– the world’s largest tram network
– Melbourne Museum
– Queen Victoria Market
– Aquarium of Melbourne
4. Task 4 Unit 2 Grade 9 Communication
Write a short paragraph (80-100 words) about one of the cities above. You can refer to the passage in 2 as a guide. (Write a short paragraph (80-100 words) about one of the cities above. You can refer to the passage in lesson 2)
Guide to answer
New York City is the most populous city in the United States. It is located in Northeastern USA. It is an exciting city to visit. Since it is a modern city, there are many fashion shops and financial centers in New York. It also has a lot of skyscrapers. New York City’s food culture is diverse because its citizens are multicultural. Enjoying street food here is also an interesting experience because there are about 4000 mobile food vendors in the city. In New York, man-made attractions such as Statue of Liberty, Central Park, museums and galleries are well-known to visitors all over the world. What I like most about New York City is that its public transport is convenient.
New York City is the most populous city in the United States. It is located in the north of the Americas. This is an interesting city to visit. Because it is a modern world city, there are many fashion and financial centers in New York. There are also many skyscrapers here. The cuisine here is very diverse because of the multicultural population. Enjoying street food is an interesting experience because there are more than 4000 mobile hawkers. In New York, man-made attractions such as the Statue of Liberty, Central Park, museums and galleries are all very popular with tourists from all over the world. I like New York best because it has a convenient public transportation system.
5. Task 5 Unit 2 Grade 9 Communication
Work in groups. Talk about the city you choose. (Work in groups. Talk about the city of your choice.)
6. Practice Task 1
Choose the word which has a different stress pattern from the others.
Question 1: A. skyscraper B. convenience C. resident D. vehicle
Question 2: A. affordable B. environment C. variety D. indicator
7. Practice Task 2
Complete the sentences using the given words.
Question 1: He wants to buy an ………… car because he doesn’t have much money.
A. expensive B. affordable C. rich
Question 2: The research on tourism was ………… by scientists at the most famous national university.
A. conduction B. conductive C. practiced
Question 3: There are many stores in the …………….. area of the city.
A. downtown B. suburb C. mountain
Question 4: Most big companies are built and developed in ………. areas.
A. urban B. rural C
At the end of the lesson, students need to support each other in a group to prepare an essay about a city and confidently present it to the class and memorize the following vocabulary words:
- cosmopolitan /ˌkɒzməˈpɒlɪtən/ multi-ethnic
- hang out (v) /hæŋ/ /aʊt/ gather
- chit – chat /ʧɪt/ /ʧæt/ chat
- affordable /əˈfɔːdəbl/ affordable, reasonable
- multicultural /ˌmʌltiˈkʌltʃərəl/ multi-ethnic
- lighthouse /ˈlaɪthaʊs/ lighthouse
- citizen /ˈsɪtɪzn/ city dweller
- skincare /ˈskɪnkeə(r)/ skin care