Unit 11 grade 9: Changing Roles In Society – Getting Started
Into the Future (Future)
1. Task 1 Unit 11 Grade 9 Getting Started
Listen and read. (Listen and read)
Click to listen
Interviewer: We’ve invited a few students from the fun valley oak school to the Beyond 2030 forum, and they’re about to share with us their vision of the future. Would you like to speak first, Phong?
Wind: I believe the biggest change will take place in the learning system. Except for school, we will also learn from places that will give us real knowledge and experience, such as a train station, in a company, or on a farm.
Roof: I agree. The application of this practice will give us a sense of participation, a feeling that we are part of the process.
Interviewer: And what about the role of the teacher?
Wind: Well, teachers will be support people instead of information providers.
Interviewer: Good. And how do you see the future, Nguyen?
Original: Well, I think the role of father will change dramatically
Interviewer: Oh yes? How?
Original: The modern father will not need to be the financial pillar in the family. He can work outside or stay at home to take care of the children.
People interview: And doing housework?
Original: Well, it doesn’t matter if it’s a paid job or not, right?
Roof: Agreed. The benefit is that their children will see their fathers more often and have a closer relationship. I don’t see my dad very often, but I enjoy every moment I spend with him.
Interviewer question: Well we’re definitely covering interesting topics…
a. Tick (√) the person who has this idea. (Tick √ to the person who has the following opinion)
Guide to answer
1. Students will learn a lot from the real workplace.
2. Students love seeing them as part of the process.
3. The teacher will work as a facilitator.
4. Dad is not necessarily the financial breadwinner in the family.
5. With the regular presence of fathers in the house, it will help to have a closer relationship with the children.
b. Answer the question (Answer the question)
first. What is the purpose of the Beyond 2030 for? (What is the purpose of Beyon 2030?)
2. Who has been invited to the discussion? (Who is invited to this discussion?)
3. What does Phong think about classes in the future? (What does Phong think about the future class?)
4. Why might students like having classes outside school?
(Why might students prefer classes outside of school?)
5. Will the father of the future always stay at home? (Will the father of the future always stay at home?)
6. Does Nguyen feel negative about a man do housework?
(Does Nguyen feel negative about men doing housework?)
Guide to answer
1. It’s for people to share their vision of the future.
(For people to share their vision of the future.)
2. Some students from Oak Tree School in Happy Valley.
(Some students from Oak Tree School in Happy Valley.)
3. He says that learning will also take place outside school.
(He said that learning will also take place outside of school.)
4. It will give them a sense of participation and of being part of the process.
(It will give them a sense of being involved and being part of the process.)
5. No, he won’t. He may still go to work.
(No, won’t always stay home. He can still go to work.))
6. No, he doesn’t. (No, he doesn’t feel that way.)
c. Work in groups. Discuss and find the meaning of the phrases and sentences. (Work in groups. Discuss the meanings of the following phrases and sentences.)
Guide to answer
first. Beyond 2030: after the year 2030
(Beyond 2030: after 2030)
2. vision of the future: ideas about what life will be like in the future
(vision of the future: ideas about what life will be like in the future)
3. It’s work, paid or not, isn’t it?: Both housework and paid work are worthy of respect
(It’s work, paid and unpaid, right?: Both household chores and paid work deserve respect.)
4. I love every moment I spend with him: I love being with my father
(I love every moment I spend with him.: I love being with my father.)
2. Task 2 Unit 11 grade 9 Getting Started
These words/phrases are taken from the conversation. Tick (√) the correct explanation for each one. (These words and phrases are taken from the dialogue. Tick (√) the correct explanation for each word)
Guide to answer
1. B 2. A 3. REMOVE
1. facilitator = someone who helps others work faster by discussing or giving instructions.
2. informant = someone who collects information and uses it to teach others.
3. financial breadwinner= someone who provides money to support the family.
3. Task 3 Unit 11 grade 9 Getting Started
Work in groups. These pictures represent some visions of the future. Discuss what they may mean. (Work in groups. These pictures represent views of the future. Discuss what they might mean.)
Guide to answer
first. Cars will be running on solar energy. (Cars will run on solar energy.)
2. People will live in houses in the sky. (Humans will live in heavenly houses.)
3. People will be able to talk to their pets. (Humans can converse with pets.)
4. Robots will be doing the housework. (The robot will do the housework.)
5. Trains will be running as fast as 300km/h. (The train will run 300km/h.)
6. Land will become barren. (The land will become barren.)
4. Task 4 Unit 11 Grade 9 Getting Started
Make two big groups. One group names a service. The other group gives their vision of that service in the future. Take turns to do this. The group with the most predictions wins. (Divide into two groups. One group names the service. The other group gives a view of the service in the future. Take turns and so on. The group with the most predictions wins.)
Group A: Hospital.
Group B: Surgery will be performed by robots.
Guide to answer
B: They don’t need drivers. They are controlled by a computer.
B: People can travel to another planets by spacecrafts.
B: Robots will ship instead of human
B: They don’t need to drive. They are controlled by the computer.
B: Humans can travel to other planets by spacecraft.
A: Shipping service!
B: Robots will transport goods instead of humans.
5. Practice Task 1
Choose the correct answer A, B, c, or D to complete the sentences.
Question 1: He suggests that mothers_____ are employed full-time will not be able to give their children enough care and attention.
A. which B. who C. whom D. whose
Question 2: The good news is more money_____ on education in the next five years.
A. will spend B. will be spent C. spends D. is spent
Question 3: Some people say that the role of family____ to fit the development of society.
A. will be changed B. changes C. will change D. is changed
Question 4: The PGA,_____ stands for Professional Golfers’ Association, organises a prestigious golf championship every year.
A. which B. who C. it D. whom
Question 5: Louis Lassen,_____ made and sold the first hamburger, was an American chef from Connecticut.
A. which B. he C. whose D. who
6. Practice Task 2
Choose the word which has a different stress pattern from the others.
Question 1: A. developer B. responsible C. participate D. individual
Question 2: A. Significant B. relation C. D. advantage
Question 3: A. consequently B. externally C. financially D. facilitate
Question 4: A. economic B. academic C. competition D. technology
Question 5: A. generate B. landscape C. layer D. machine
At the end of the lesson, students need to complete the exercise and memorize the following words:
- vision (n): vision
- forum (n): forum
- apart from: except
- real-life knowledge: everyday knowledge
- application (n): application
- role (n): role
- facilitator (n): person who supports
- breadwinner (n): breadwinner
- a close relationship with: a close relationship with..