Unit 1 grade 9: Local Environment-A Closer Look 2
1.1. Task 1 Unit 1 Grade 9
Underline the dependent clause in each sentence below. Say whether it is a dependent clause of concession (DC), of purpose (DP), of reason (DR), or of time (DT) (Underline the dependent clause in each of the sentences below. Consider which is a concession clause (DC), a purpose clause (DP), a cause clause (DR), a time clause. (DT))
Guide to answer
first. When people talk about traditional paintings → DT (When talking about traditional paintings, people often think of Dong Ho village.)
2. so that she could buy some conical hats → DP (My sister went to Tay Ho village in Hue to buy some poem hats.)
3. Although this museum is small → DC (Although this museum is small, it has many unique artifacts.)
4. because we have space to skateboard → DR (This square is our favorite place to hang out because we have space for skateboarding.)
5. before they make the drumheads → DT (People have to dry the buffalo skins before they make the drums.)
1.2. Task 2 Unit 1 grade 9
Make a complex sentence from each pair of sentences. Use the subordinator provided and make any necessary changes (Match into complex sentences. Use subordinating conjunctions provided and can be changed if necessary)
Guide to answer
first. The villagers are trying to learn English in order that they can communicate with foreign customers. (The villagers are trying to learn English so they can communicate with foreign customers.)
2. After we had eaten lunch, we went to Non Nuoc marble village to buy some souvenirs. (After lunch, we went to Non Nuoc marble village to buy some souvenirs.)
3. Even though this hand-embroided picture was expensive, we bought it. (Although this hand-embroidered painting was expensive, we bought it.)
4. This department store is an attraction in my city because the products are of good quality. (This department store is an attraction in my city because the products are of good quality.)
5. This is called a Conical hat since it was made in Chuong village. (This is called Chuong hat because it is made in Chuong village.)
1.3. Task 3 Unit 1 grade 9
Read this part of the conversation from GETTING STARTED. Pay attention to the underlined part and answer the questions (Read the dialogue from Getting Started. Focus on the underlined part and answer the questions.)
Guide to answer
first. setup: start something (a business, an organization, etc.) (set up, start something, (business, organization…))
take over: take control of something (a business, an organization, etc.) (control)
2. No, the individual words in the verb phrase do not help with comprehension. This is why they are sometimes considered difficult. (No, the separate words in a phrasal verb do not help in understanding its meaning. That’s why they are sometimes seen as difficult.)
1.4. Task 4 Unit 1 grade 9
Match the phrasal verbs in A with their meaning in B (Match the phrasal verbs in column A with their meanings in column B.)
Guide to answer
first. c (passed down – passed on from one generation to the next)
2. g (have money to buy things you need – have enough money to live)
3. f (solve – action to solve the problem)
4. a (close – stop the business)
5. H (opposite of – accept, settle)
6. b (get along/ get along with someone – have a friendly relationship with someone)
7. e (return – return)
8. d (reject – refuse something)
1.5. Task 5 Unit 1 grade 9
Complete each sentence using the correct form of a phrasal verb in 4. You don’t need to use all the verbs (Complete the following sentences with the correct form of the verb phrase in lesson 4. It is not necessary to use all the verbs)
Guide to answer
first. big face up (after modal verb “must”, middle infinitive ⇒ face up to)
2. turned down (Conjugate verbs with the same tense in a sentence turned down)
3. passed down (Conjugate the verb in the passive form ⇒ passed down)
4. live on (after the modal verb “can”, the middle infinitive ⇒ live on)
5. close down (after modal verb “had to” (have to), middle infinitive ⇒ close down)
6. did… come back (Conjugate the past simple because there is a sign of “last night”)
first. We have to face the fact that our handicrafts are in competition with other craft villages.
2. I invited her to join our trip to Trang An, but she declined my invitation.
3. Knitting is often passed down from generation to generation.
4. Do you think we can sell silk scarves as souvenirs enough to live on?
5. They had to close the museum because it was no longer a place of interest.
6. What time did you return from last night’s trip?
1.6. Task 6 Unit 1 grade 9
Complete the second sentence so that it has a similar meaning to the first sentence, using the word given (Complete the sentences so that the meaning of the second sentence is the same as the first. Use the words given.)
Guide to answer
first. Where did you get the information about Disney Resort?
⇒ Where did you find out about Disneyland Resort?
2. What time did you get out of your bed this morning?
⇒ When did you get up this morning?
3. I’ll read this leaflet to see what activities are organized at this attraction.
⇒ I’ll look through this leaflet to see what activities are organized at this attraction.
4. They’re going to publish a guidebook to different beauty spots in Vietnam.
⇒ They’re going to bring out a guidebook to different beauty spots in Vietnam.
5. I’m thinking with pleasure about the weekend!
⇒ I’m looking forward to the weekend!
Where did you get information about Disneyland Resort?
Where do you look for Disneyland Resort?
What time did you get out of bed this morning?
When did you wake up this morning?
I will be reading this flyer to see what activities are being held at this attraction.
I will be looking through this flyer to see what activities are held at this attraction.
They will publish a guide to different beautiful places in Vietnam.
They will introduce a guide to different beautiful spots in Vietnam.
I’m excitedly thinking about the weekend!
I am looking forward to the weekend!
2. Practice Task 1
Make a complex sentence from each pair of sentences. Use the subordinator provided and make any necessary changes. (Write a compound sentence from each part of the sentences below. Use the given conjunctions without changing the meaning of the sentence.)
first. Their son is allergetic to animals. They decided to get a cat, (though)
2. He will stay in England for two months more. He can perfect his English, (in order that)
3. There is nothing to eat. We have to go shopping today, (as)
4. I go to Hue next week. I will stay with my aunt and uncle, (when)
5. Mai could have good marks. She studied hard for the exam, (so that)
6. We need an umbrella. It is raining heavily outside, (since)
7. Nick will visit some craft villages. He finishes the Vietnamese course, (after)
8. We decided to go for a walk in the park. It was very cold out. (even though)
9. The tourists wanted to buy some silk. They went to Van Phuc village, (because)
ten. They won’t buy the new car. They save enough money, (until)
3. Practice Task 2
Complete each of the following sentences using the correct form of a phrasal verb Complete the following sentences by giving the correct form of the phrasal verbs below.
close down come back deal with get up keep up with
live on look through pass down set off turn down
first. My sister is an early bird. She ______ at 7 o’clock every day of the week.
2. We’ll ______for Tay Ho village at 9 o’clock and arrive at 10 o’clock.
3. When I was a student, I______ small allowances from my parents.
4. The government must now _______ the preservation of traditional craft villages.
5. The banks have _______ a lot of branches in villages over the last few years.
6. Many foreign tourists decided to _______ to Vietnam for another holiday.
7. They offered her a trip to Europe but she _______ it ______ .
8. He has ______ the report and found nothing interesting.
9. Phong walks too fast and it’s really hard to ______him.
ten. These traditional stories have been ______ from parents to children over many generations.
The main grammar point of this lesson is review Complex Sentences (compound sentence) and some phrasal verbs (verb phrase)