Unit 10 grade 8: Communication – Communication
1. Task 1 Unit 10 Grade 8 Communication
Match the following possible reasons for communication breakdown with the examples. Can you add in some more reasons and examples? (Match the following reasons for communication breakdown with examples. Can you add more reasons and examples?)
Guide to answer
1 – A 2 – B 3 – C 4 – C 5 – A 6 – OVER
A. language barrier
B. cultural differences
C. lack of communication channels
1. Woman: If you go down the hallway, you’ll see a sign that says “Entrée”…
Man: “What does Entrée mean? I’m afraid I don’t understand.
2. In Sweden people call each other by their first names and this does not mean disrespect.
3. I can’t reach him by phone – the network signal is too weak here.
4. We heard nothing from him. It took several weeks for the mail to reach that area.
5. What is he writing here? I don’t understand this crazy note.
6. In some countries, yellow roses mean happiness and friendship, but in Russia, if you send someone yellow roses, it means separation.
2. Task 2 Unit 10 Grade 8 Communication
If you don’t understand body language communication breakdown may happen. Match the body language with the meaning. Add more examples if you can. (If you don’t understand body language, communication breakdown can happen. Match body language with meaning. Add a few examples if you need to.)
Guide to answer
1 C. You shrug your shoulders. – “I do not know”. (You shrug. – “I don’t know.”)
2 a. Your hands are on your hips. – “I’m angry” (Your hands are on your hips. – “I’m angry.”)
3.e. You glance at your watch. – “Sorry, I need to go now.” (You glance at your watch. – “Sorry, I need to go now.”)
4.b. You give a big smile. – “I’m happy!” (You laugh. – “I am happy.”)
5.d. You raise your fists. – “It’s wonderful! So I’m so excited” (You raise your wrist – “That’s great! I’m so excited.”)
3. Task 3 Unit 10 Grade 8 Communication
Using abbreviation for online chatting and texting is not always easy to understand. Can you decode the following sentences written in texting/ chatting style without looking at cues? (Using acronyms for online chat and texting is not always easy to understand. Can you decipher the following texting/chatting sentences without looking at the hint?)
Guide to answer
first. Where are you? We are at Lotte on the second floor. (Where are you? We are at Lotte 2nd floor.)
2. I’ll be 5 minutes late. See you soon. (I’ll be 5 minutes late. See you soon.)
3. Do you want to see a mivie this weekend? (Do you want to see a movie this weekend?)
4. Please call me right back. Thanks. (Please call me back. Thanks.)
5. Hi! What are you doing tonight? (Hello! What are you going to do tonight?)
6. Did you see it? Laugh out loud! (Did you see it? Hilarious!)
4. Task 4 Unit 10 Grade 8 Communication
Ideas Bank. Work in groups. For each communication brackdown mentioned in 1, think of a future technology idea that will help avoid it. Share your ideas with the class. (Idea bank. Work in groups. For each communication breakdown mentioned in part 1, think of a future technology idea that will help avoid it. Share your idea with the class.)
Example: Language barrier (Language barriers)
We will use an app on a smartphone to automatically translate what we are saying into the language of the listener. (We’ll be using an app on a smartphone to automatically translate what we’re saying into the listener’s language.)
Guide to answer
Culture diferences (Cultural differences)
We will use an app that provides all the important rules in which you visit. (We’ll use an app that provides all the important rules for the place you visit.)
5. Practice Task 1
Choose the letter A, B, C or D to complete the passage below
The Internet was born (1) _________scientists attempted to connect the American Defense Network to other satellite networks in (2) _________to exchange information. Soon, scientific and educational institutions as well as research departments became interested (3) _________ linking up, and, before long, the Internet had expanded into an international information and communication network.
The Internet now (4) _________ all the countries in the world. You can be connected to the Internet directly through your own computer or you can hook up to (5) _________ access system which allows you to use some of the Internet’s services.
Question 1: A. what B. where C. when D. who
Question 2: A. in view B. in order C. in regard D. in as
Question 3: A. in B. on C. of D. with
Question 4: A. lies B. comes C. spreads D. prays
Question 5: A. a B. an C. the D. x
6. Practice Task 2
Supply the correct form of verbs
1. They are staying at the hotel in London. At this time tomorrow, they (travel) in Vietnam.
2. When they (come) tomorrow, we (swim) in the sea.
3. My parents (visit) Europe at this time next week
4. Daisy (sit) on the plane at 9 am tomorrow.
5. At 8 o’clock this evening my friends and I (watch) a famous film at the cinema.
At the end of the lesson, they need to do their homework, find out the reasons for breaking up the communication and come up with future technology ideas to help avoid this situation; At the same time, memorize the words in the lesson:
- language barrier: language barrier
- communication channel: communication channel
- corridor: corridor
- first name: name
- last name: last name
- a lack of respect: lack of respect
- network signal: network signal
- seperation: separation, separation