Unit 4 grade 7: Music and Arts – A Closer Look 2
Comparisons (Comparative forms)
1.1. Task 1 Unit 4 Grade 7
Put as, or from in the gaps. (Place as or from in the blanks of the following sentences.)
Guide to answer
first. The music festival this year is as good as it was last year. (This year’s music festival is as good as last year.)
2. The concert will be broadcast ‘live’: that means it comes on TV at the same time as it is performed. (The concert will be broadcast live: that is, it will be shown on television at the same time as it is performed.)
3. This camera is not as expensive as I thought at first. (This cinema is not as expensive as first thought.)
4. Your taste in art is quite different from mine. (Your taste in music is different from mine. )
5. Some people say that Spider-Man 2 is as boring as Spider-Man 1. (Some say Spider-Man 2 is as boring as Spider-Man 1.)
6. My mother is always as busy as a bee (My mother is always as busy as a bee.)
1.2. Task 2 Unit 4 Grade 7
Put one of these phrases in each gap in the passage (Put one of these phrases in each space in the following passage.)
Guide to answer
MY HOMETOWN TODAY
My hometown has changed a lot – it’s definitely not (1) the same as it was before. It’s not (2) as quiet as it was 5 years ago. It’s much more noisy, but I prefer it now. There are more shops and restaurants. The restaurants are (3) diﬀerent from the ones we had before. Now we can eat many diﬀerent kinds of food – Italian, French, and even Mexican! There have been so many changes. Even the streets are not (4) as narrow as they were before. They are wider now to make space for the extra traffic. One thing hasn’t changed though. The people here are as warm and (5) friendly as before. That’s one thing that’s (6) the same as it was before.
FORGET ME TODAY
My hometown has changed a lot – it’s not at all what it used to be. It’s not as peaceful as it was 5 years ago. It’s noisier, but I like my hometown better now. There are more shops and restaurants. The restaurant is different from the others we have had before. Now we can eat many different kinds of food – Italian, French, and Mexican. There are too many changes. Even the roads are not as narrow as they used to be. Now they are wider to create space for the car. However, one thing has not changed. People here are still as warm and friendly as before. It’s the same thing as before.
1.3. Task 3 Unit 4 Grade 7
Work in pairs. Compare the two music clubs in the town: Young Talent and Nightingale. (Work in pairs. Compare 2 neighborhood music clubs: Young Talent and Nightingale.)
Young talent is not as old as Painted Mi.
Painter is older than Young Talent.
Guide to answer
first. Young talent is more friendly than Nightingale. (Young talent is friendlier than Painting.)
2. Young Talent is not as safe as Nightingale. (Young talent is not as safe as Painting.)
3. Nightingale is not as large as Young Talent. (The painter is not as big as Young Talent.)
4. Young Talent is as expensive as Nightingale. (Young talent is worth as much as Painting.)
5. Young Talent is not as famous as Nightingale. (Young talent is not as famous as Painted Mi.)
too and either (too and either)
1.4. Task 4 Unit 4 Grade 7
Complete the following sentences with ‘too’ or ‘either’. (Complete the following sentences with “too” or “either”.)
Guide to answer
first. My friend likes photography, and I like it too.
(My friend loves photography, and so do I.)
2. My mother doesn’t enjoy horror films, and my sister doesn’t either.
(My mom doesn’t like horror movies, and neither does my sister.)
3. I was not allowed to go to the show, and my classmates were not either.
(I wasn’t allowed to go to the concert and neither were my classmates.)
4. I love country music, and I like rock and roll too.
(I like country music, and I also like rock & roll.)
5. When I finish painting my room, I’ll do the kitchen too.
(When I finish painting my room, I will also paint the kitchen.)
1.5. Task 5 Unit 4 Grade 7
What music and arts are you interested, or not interested in? Make a list by completing the sentences below. (You can use the words given or your own ideas). (What kind of music and art do you like or dislike? Make a list by completing the sentences below. (You can use the words given or your own opinion).
Guide to answer
first. I’m very interested in dancing .
(I love to dance.)
2. I think drawing is very boring.
(I think drawing is boring.)
3. What I like to do most in my spare time is playing the guitar.
(My favorite thing to do in my free time is play the guitar.)
4. In my spare time, I often listen to rock and roll.
In my free time, I usually listen to rock & roll music.)
5. I never go to the art gallery , even if I have time.
(I never go to an art gallery, even if I have time.)
1.6. Task 6 Unit 4 Grade 7
Work in pairs. Share your list with your partner. Then, report to the class using too/ either.(Work in pairs. Share the list with classmates. Then report to the class, using “too/either”.)
– Nam is interested in dancing and I am too. (Nam loves to dance and so do I.)
– Phong doesn’t go to the art gallery and I don’t either. (Phong doesn’t like going to art exhibitions, and neither do I.)
Guide to answer
– I like pop music and Phong does too. (I like pop music and so does Phong.)
– I don’t like drawing and Nam doesn’t either. (I don’t like to draw and neither does Nam.)
– I like play the guitar in the spare time and Nam do too. (I like to play guitar in my free time and so does Nam.)
2. Practice Task 1
Choose the odd one out (Choose a different word.)
Question 1: A. geography B. contain C. music D. science
Question 2: A. tomato B. potato C. information D. cabbage
Question 3: A. fashion B. shower C. cavity D. unhealthy
Question 4: A. display B. cartoon C. paddle D. performance
Question 5: A. buffalo B. detective C. adventure D. humour
3. Practice Task 2
Is the sentence grammatically correct? (Is the sentence grammatically correct?)
Question 1: This room is as big as that room.
Question 2: The film is the same from I thought at first
Question 3: Her voice is not as beautiful as your.
Question 4: My mother is as busy as a bee.
Question 5: Your taste in music is quite different as mine.
At the end of the lesson, students need to complete the exercise, remembering:
– too and either (too and either)
+ “too” means “also”, used when repeating something similar to what someone has said before and the previous person’s statement is an affirmative sentence.
Position: “too” stands at the end of a sentence, after a comma
Ex: A. I can sing English songs. (I can sing English songs)
B. I can, too (Me too)
+ “either” means “nor”, used when repeating something similar to what someone has said before and the previous person’s statement is negative.
Position: “either” stands at the end of a sentence, after a comma
Ex: I’m not good at English. (I’m not good at English)
B. I’m not, either. (Me neither)
– Comparisons (Comparative forms)
+ Compare with is when we compare this to that, this to that.
Structure: as + ADJ/ADV + as or so + ADJ/ADV + as
Ex: She sings as beautifully as a singer. (She sings as good as a singer.)
+ Compare more is when we compare one over the other, for example better, better, more beautiful.
- If the word has only 1 syllable: ADJ/ADV + -er ending + than. Ex: Nam is Taller than me. (Male is taller than me.)
- If the word has 2 or more syllables: more + ADJ/ADV + than. Ex: This problem is more difficult than that one. (This problem is more difficult than the other.)
+ Superlative is when we compare something to be above all others.
- If the word has only 1 syllable: the + ADJ/ADV + -est. Ex: Nam is the tallness student in his class. (Nam is the tallest student in the class.)
- If the word has 2 or more syllables: the + most + ADJ/ADV. Ex: This is the most difficult problem in the book. (This is the hardest problem in the book.)
– Vocabulary in the lesson:
- broadcast /ˈbrɔːdkɑːst/ broadcast
- perform /pəˈfɔːm/ perform
- allow /əˈlaʊ/ allow
- photography /fəˈtɒɡrəfi/ photography
- taste (n) /teɪst/ taste, taste