Unit 12 grade 7: An Overcrowded World – Communication
1. Task 1 Unit 12 Grade 7 Communication
Look at the pictures and discuss. (Look at the pictures and discuss)
1. What places they are. (Which places are those)
2. How they are different. (How are these places different?)
Make a list of your ideas and share them with your class. (Make a list of ideas for these two places and share them with the class.)
Guide to answer
1. Big city and desert (Big city and desert)
2. The differneces (The difference)
– Big city is beautiful with bridges, buildings. It’s overcrowded.
(Beautiful big city with bridges, buildings. The city is too crowded.)
– The desert is quiet. (The desert is quiet.)
2. Task 2 Unit 12 Grade 7 Communication
Match the words below with the places in 1 (Match the words below with the places in part 1)
Guide to answer
Big city: high living Standard, clean water, dense-populated, good education, crime.
(Big city: high standard of living, clean water, dense population, good education, crime.)
Desert: poor healthcare, crime, malnutrition, hunger.
(Desert: poor medical care, crime, malnutrition, hunger.)
3. Task 3 Unit 12 Grade 7 Communication
Read the information about the two places. (Read the information below about the two places)
Mauritania, a desert country in Africa.
Area: 1,030,700km2 (29th largest country in the world)
Population: more than 3 million people
Population density: 3 people/km2
Economy: mainly agriculture
Medical care: poor, high infant mortality rate
Problems: 3/4 of the area is desert, slavery, child labor, hunger.
It’s unusual: fat women are seen as beautiful.
Area: 1,104 km2
Population: more than 7 million people
Population density: more than 6,000 people/km2
Economy: service industry and tourism
Medical care: one of the best health systems in the world
Problems: overcrowding, crime
Unusual incident: There are the most skyscrapers in the world
4. Task 4 Unit 12 Grade 7 Communication
Work in pairs. Use the information in 3 to talk about the differences between the two places.(Work in pairs. Use the information given in part 3 to talk about the ways in which the two places are different.)
Guide to answer
– The population of Mauritania is very small, only over three million people. Hong Kong is much larger. It has more than 7 million people.
(The population in Mairitania is very small, just over 3 million people. Hong Kong is more. Hong Kong has more than 6 million people.)
– The area of Mauritania is very large, 1,030,700km2. Hong Kong is much smaller, it is only 1,104km2.
(The area of Mauritania is huge, 1,030,700 square kilometers. Hong Kong is much smaller, only 1,104 square kilometers.)
– The main economy is agriculture in Mauritania. While, Hong Kong has service industry and tourism.
(Mauritania’s main economy is agriculture. Meanwhile, Hong Kong has service industries and tourism.)
– Hong Kong’s healthcare is considered to be one of the best system in the world. That of Mauritania is much worse, people are poorer and infant death rate here is also high due to bad living condition.
(Hong Kong’s health system is considered the best in the world. While in Mauritania it is much worse, the people are poorer and the infant mortality rate is also high because of the poor living conditions)
– Mauritania has three quaters desert, slavery, child labor and hunger. Hong Kong is overcrowded and crime is also one of its problems.
(Mauritania is three-quarters of a desert desert, has slavery, child labor and hunger. Hong Kong is overpopulated and crime is one of the city’s problems.)
– Hong Kong has most skyscrapers in the world which is an unusual fact of it. The strange fact in Mauritania is that obese women are considered beautiful.
(Hong Kong has the most skyscrapers in the world, which makes the country so strange. The strange thing about Mauritania is that obese women are considered beautiful.)
5. Practice Task 1
Find the word which has a different sound in the part underlined.
Question 1: A. rly B. bt C. rlize D. rder
Question 2: A. holidy B. lzy C. tke D. vcation
Question 3: A. cp B. dr C. fd D. bt
Question 4: A. nervs B. sct C. hsehold D. mse
Question 5: A. sfety B. tsty C. pncake D. nture
6. Practice Task 2
Fill in theap with more, less/ fewer
1. Nowadays people spend ……….money on education than in the past
2. I hope this year we will harvest …………rice than last year, so we won’t be worried about famished
3. Many people are moving to the city because there are………job opportunities there than in the countryside
4. The government are trying to raise the living standards of people. I think that there will be slum areas in the future
5. Underdeveloped countries have to deal with….problems than developed countries
At the end of the lesson, the children explore problems in big cities and desert regions, practice talking about the differences between Mauritania and Hong Kong; At the same time, memorize the words in the lesson:
- density (n): population density
- economy (n): economy
- obese (adj): obese
- industry (n): industry
- tourism (n): tourism
- skyscraper (n): a skyscraper