Math 1 Lesson: Length of line segment
1.1. Knowledge to remember
– Understand the concept of longer and shorter lines.
Compare two line segments.
– Measure the length of the straight line with the palm of your hand, span, step, ruler….
1.2. Mathematical forms of Line length
Form 1: Determine the measure of the length of the line segment.
Line segments are drawn on square paper, I count the number of cells and determine the length of the line.
Form 2: Measure the length with the palm of your hand, the span of your hand…
Using gloves, spans, steps or a straightedge… you can measure the lengths of lines, the lengths of objects such as boards, walls, books…
Form 3: Find a shorter, longer line segment.
– With paper tape, compare shorter, longer by concatenating one end of two paper tapes, the other end of the excess paper tape will be longer.
– Comparing the lengths of two line segments, the line segment can be attached with unit squares, the line segment with fewer squares is shorter.
– Comparing the length of a straight line or an object through measuring with the span of an arm, a glove, etc. is also done in the same way as comparing a line segment with a square.
1.3. Solving Textbook Exercises
Lesson 1 page 96
Which line is longer and which is shorter?
Observe and then answer the questions of the problem.
a) Line segment AB is longer than line segment CD or line segment CD is shorter than line segment AB.
b) The line segment MN is longer than the line segment PQ or the line segment PQ is shorter than the line segment AB.
c) The RS line segment is longer than the UV line segment or the UV line segment is shorter than the RS line segment.
d) The line segment HK is longer than the line segment LM or the line segment LM is shorter than the line segment HK.
Lesson 2 page 97
Enter the appropriate number for each line segment (according to the pattern):
Count the number of squares of each line segment and then fill in the number according to the pattern.
Lesson 3 page 97
Color the shortest tape:
Count the number of squares on each tape and then compare and color the shortest tape.
Color it as follows