CLEVELAND, Ohio – “Summer Slugger,” a baseball-themed digital education course, is available for free for the thousands of kids studying at home during the coronavirus shelter-in-place orders.
Major League Baseball and EVERFI, a Washington, D.C-based community-engagement platform company and education partner of MLB, said the program can reach the 39 million students learning at home in the United States and Canada.
Billed as a “gamified education course focusing on math and literacy skills,” Summer Slugger is intended for ages 8-11. It engages students in game-based activities that address the skills needed to combat the loss of knowledge over the summer – what the company bills as the “summer slide.” The company says 140,000 students across MLB’s 30 markets have participated in Summer Slugger since it launched in 2017.
Summer Slugger contains 36 series that cover 10 categories, including units of measure, arithmetic, geometry, spelling, vocabulary, grammar and others. They are designed to take no longer than 10 minutes to complete. The program offers progress rewards.
“Our core mission has always been about making education available to students and during this time of crisis we are pleased that so many of our partners have stepped up to the plate to open up their programs to the millions of students and families who are navigating this new learn at home experience,” Jon Chapman, EVERFI founder and president, said in a statement.
- Mrs. Brinker: Understanding education buzzwords – WTHR
- 100 years ago: Education leader dies – Bloomington Pantagraph
- EDUCATION BEAT: The genius of acting silly – Bristol Herald Courier
- District: Bridgeport teacher falsified special education plans for students with disabilities – The Wilton Bulletin
- The Real Story: U.S. Sec’y of Education Miguel Cardona – FOX 61
- Uighur woman living in France speaks out about alleged Chinese ‘re-education’ camp horrors – ABC News
- Opinion: Antiracist math education adds up to better results for students – OregonLive
- Education notebook – Arkansas Online
- New York bill would create ‘comprehensive sexuality education’ for kindergarten students – Fox News