Supt. Harrison Peters has announced a timeline for specific education reforms in the city’s schools, now under a state takeover by the commissioner of education. This plan, however, is not the sweeping redesign plan that the Department of Education is expected to roll out in April.
PROVIDENCE — Supt. Harrison Peters has announced a timeline for specific education reforms in the city’s schools, now under a state takeover by the commissioner of education.
This plan, however, is not the sweeping redesign plan that the Department of Education is expected to roll out in April.
Peters, who arrived here last month as the turnaround superintendent, includes the following:
◘ School-specific reviews of every school
◘ Creating a task force to implement restorative justice, a practice that emphasizes non-punitive ways to address inappropriate behavior.
◘ Revising the district’s school facilities plan with a fresh look at which buildings need emergency repairs.
◘ Launching a new school procurement plan to ensure that schools get materials faster.
◘ Starting to track data on students’ social and emotional health.
Peters, who arrived here from Florida, is also moving ahead on the following plans:
◘ Recruiting more teachers of color
◘ Launching a task force charged with reducing the district’s chronic teacher vacancy problem in the 2020-2021 school year.
— [email protected]com
On Twitter: @lborgprojocom
- Education notebook – Northwest Arkansas Democrat-Gazette
- California – Ravenwoode: Offering appreciation to health, education officials – Lake County News
- Education News – Texarkana Gazette
- US Department of Education Releases “COVID-19 Handbook, Volume 2: Roadmap to Reopening Safely and Meeting All Students’ Needs” | US – U.S. Department of Education
- The more you learn, the more you earn: education and poverty alleviation in Thailand – UN News
- Dep’t of Education issues emergency order waiving test requirement for seniors, series of adjustments – Florida Politics
- D.C. mayor proposes boost in education spending as she calls on schools to fully reopen in the fall – The Washington Post
- Faculty invited to apply to General Education Scholar Program | Penn State University – Penn State News
- US Department of Education Announces More Biden-Harris Appointees | US – U.S. Department of Education