Priority: The fact or condition of being regarded or treated as more important.
Policy makers say not to worry: Public education is their priority.
It’s more a priority to cut income tax, leaving public education a $600 million IOU.
It’s more a priority to expect localities to raise their taxes instead.
It’s more a priority to “hold harmless” public education, rather than provide more resources to rise above last-in-the-nation funding.
It’s more a priority to consider a constitutional guarantee dispensable.
The constitutional provision to fund public education from income tax has for generations signaled what should be our priority. Utah’s greatest generation recognized that a free and prosperous society was also an educated society, and a matter of social contract with freer future generations. That constitutional provision has stood as a durable intergenerational — if aspirational — commitment to public education.
With our booming economy, we should more fully benefit from the promise of that constitutional provision. We should make the education of future generations more of a priority.
Our values and commitment must match the legacy left us. At some point, that must take true priority.
- Education notebook – Northwest Arkansas Democrat-Gazette
- California – Ravenwoode: Offering appreciation to health, education officials – Lake County News
- Education News – Texarkana Gazette
- US Department of Education Releases “COVID-19 Handbook, Volume 2: Roadmap to Reopening Safely and Meeting All Students’ Needs” | US – U.S. Department of Education
- The more you learn, the more you earn: education and poverty alleviation in Thailand – UN News
- Dep’t of Education issues emergency order waiving test requirement for seniors, series of adjustments – Florida Politics
- D.C. mayor proposes boost in education spending as she calls on schools to fully reopen in the fall – The Washington Post
- Faculty invited to apply to General Education Scholar Program | Penn State University – Penn State News
- US Department of Education Announces More Biden-Harris Appointees | US – U.S. Department of Education