WHAT: Parents are facing fluid plans for their child’s education as the large majority of schools in the nation closed into April are facing still-rising coronavirus case numbers.
EXPERT: William Watson, an associate professor in learning design and technology and director of the Purdue Center for Serious Games and Learning in Virtual Environments in the College of Education, can talk how to incorporate game-oriented learning activities at home while families remain in various levels of isolation due to the outbreak.
QUOTE: “While stressful, this outbreak is providing the opportunity to access online learning opportunities from home, including those that incorporate games, gamification and the making of games to supplement a child’s learning long-term. There are a great variety of high-quality resources to support learning for children both young and old, many of them free. Parents would also benefit from understanding how to differentiate levels of quality in such resources.”
- Watson was nominated and selected as one of the Center for Digital Education’s Top 30 Technologists, Transformers, and Trailblazers for 2015.
- Watson was recognized with a 2018 Purdue Online Innovative Course Design and Use of Technology award for leading the integration of digital badges for assessing online master’s students’ demonstration of professional learning design and technology competencies. The program received a 2019 University Professional and Continuing Education Association Outstanding Program: Credit Award.
About Purdue University
Purdue University is a top public research institution developing practical solutions to today’s toughest challenges. Ranked the No. 6 Most Innovative University in the United States by U.S. News & World Report, Purdue delivers world-changing research and out-of-this-world discovery. Committed to hands-on and online, real-world learning, Purdue offers a transformative education to all. Committed to affordability and accessibility, Purdue has frozen tuition and most fees at 2012-13 levels, enabling more students than ever to graduate debt-free. See how Purdue never stops in the persistent pursuit of the next giant leap at purdue.edu.
Writer: Brian Huchel, [email protected]. Working remotely but will provide immediate response.
Source: William Watson, [email protected]. In addition to phone interviews, the professor is available for Skype, Zoom and WebEx interviews.
Note to Journalists: A photo of William Watson, as well as a stock photo, are available on Google Drive.
- Education notebook – Northwest Arkansas Democrat-Gazette
- California – Ravenwoode: Offering appreciation to health, education officials – Lake County News
- Education News – Texarkana Gazette
- US Department of Education Releases “COVID-19 Handbook, Volume 2: Roadmap to Reopening Safely and Meeting All Students’ Needs” | US – U.S. Department of Education
- The more you learn, the more you earn: education and poverty alleviation in Thailand – UN News
- Dep’t of Education issues emergency order waiving test requirement for seniors, series of adjustments – Florida Politics
- D.C. mayor proposes boost in education spending as she calls on schools to fully reopen in the fall – The Washington Post
- Faculty invited to apply to General Education Scholar Program | Penn State University – Penn State News
- US Department of Education Announces More Biden-Harris Appointees | US – U.S. Department of Education