“(Biden and Cardona) will highlight the key (US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention) mitigation strategies that the schools have implemented successfully in these locations,” White House press secretary Jen Psaki said at Tuesday’s press briefing.
In Meriden, Cardona’s hometown, the pair will tour Benjamin Franklin Elementary School, and Fort LeBoeuf Middle Schoo in Waterford. The purpose of the trip — Biden’s first as first lady under the umbrella of bolstering education, one of her key initiatives — will be to determine the challenges schools are facing with the return of in-person classes, including “the academic, social, and emotional needs of students,” Psaki said.
Like Biden, Cardona is a lifelong educator.
“Secretary Cardona — his number one priority is reopening schools,” Psaki said. “Certainly, taking a trip with the first lady is an indication of his commitment to that.”
- Education notebook – Northwest Arkansas Democrat-Gazette
- California – Ravenwoode: Offering appreciation to health, education officials – Lake County News
- Education News – Texarkana Gazette
- US Department of Education Releases “COVID-19 Handbook, Volume 2: Roadmap to Reopening Safely and Meeting All Students’ Needs” | US – U.S. Department of Education
- The more you learn, the more you earn: education and poverty alleviation in Thailand – UN News
- Dep’t of Education issues emergency order waiving test requirement for seniors, series of adjustments – Florida Politics
- D.C. mayor proposes boost in education spending as she calls on schools to fully reopen in the fall – The Washington Post
- Faculty invited to apply to General Education Scholar Program | Penn State University – Penn State News
- US Department of Education Announces More Biden-Harris Appointees | US – U.S. Department of Education