Illinois Senate Majority Leader Kimberly Lightford (D- IL 4th District) said the education reform bill ensures that Black children have the tools to reach their potential.
“I believe children in our future will have far better opportunities to receive a quality education than we did,” Lightford said.
The legislation calls for new early childhood education programs.
“We want to make sure children are assessed when they arrive so that we can know what their needs are, and if those needs are requiring early interventions,” Lightford said.
The bill also includes new standards for high school students, a whole child task force to address trauma, and a commission to make sure American History taught in schools is more inclusive. It also addresses the shortage of black teachers.
“We’ve seen years and years and decades and generations of disinvestment, specifically in particularly in Black and brown communities when it comes to education. And education gap turns into the achievement gap, which turns into the life expectancy and quality of life gap,” said State Rep. Kam Buckner (D- IL 26th District).
Natasha Dunn, the mother of a CPS sixth grader and an education activist, applauds lawmakers’ efforts to improve the educational outcomes of Black students.
“There are a lot of things in there that I’m excited about,” Dunn said. “I do think that it’s room for improvement.”
Lightford said she spoke with Gov. JB Pritzker on Monday night and he’s looking forward to signing the bill.
Copyright © 2021 WLS-TV. All Rights Reserved.
- Mass vaccination event planned for educators, Walz to make ‘sweeping’ announcement today – KARE11.com
- Let’s Be Number One In Public Education – The Chattanoogan
- Georgia Dept. of Education announces 2021 legislative priorities – WALB
- Gov. Hutchinson launches ‘Ready for Life’ education and jobs program – wreg.com
- Live Updates: Latest News on Coronavirus and Higher Education – Inside Higher Ed
- Board of Education union calls on Gov. Lamont for a ‘clear’ COVID-19 policy for schools – FOX 61
- COVID testing pilot in early education underway in Massachusetts – MassLive.com
- US Department of Education Announces Additional College Scorecard Updates, Providing Greater Transparency on Borrower Repayment Progress and Postsecondary Costs – U.S. Department of Education
- America’s education system is in need of dramatic reform – CNN