February’s Board of Education meeting for USD 251 North Lyon County was a unique one as it was preluded with a tour of the high school highlighting the need for facility updates, repairs, and replacements.
The Board requested this walk-through of Northern Heights High School to allow the members and community onlookers the chance for architect Ben Moore to point out several things around the school that require change. Outdated measures and unfixed mechanical issues were pointed out and discussed by Moore, where he then deliberated on how they should be attended to.
Following the tour of NHHS, the Board settled into the school’s library for their monthly meeting. Many action items were on the agenda and all were passed unanimously. The highlight of the meeting was Moore’s presentation of potential plans for updating facilities, says Superintendent Mike Mathes.
Mathes is finishing out the school year as superintendent. The Board recently hired USD 114 Riverside Superintendent Robert Blair who will begin his duties in July this year. Blair was in attendance for the monthly meeting and is excited to jump into his role, prioritizing community concerns and acclimating to the district.
Also on the agenda was the approval of the 2020-21 Capital Outlay Plan and the approval of a student-ran sporting clays shooting club. This shooting club will represent NHHS by using the school colors and mascot, but the school itself will not be formally associated with the club, barring liability concerns.
This architectural review follows one from several years ago that led to one of the three failed facility bond issues. Now, the issues have been renewed by the Board with hopes of better results. The next Board of Education meeting will be on Mar. 18 at the Board Office in Americus.
Photos from Devon Swartz/KVOE News
- Education Outlook – Nevada Business Magazine
- Community college students help spread vaccine education to farmworkers – East Bay Times
- Concord education achievers – Wicked Local
- Adult education booms in our area – WNEP Scranton/Wilkes-Barre
- WiMi Cooperates With China Education Television in Holographic Education, Serving Nearly 100 Million Teachers and Students in Rural Areas – Yahoo Finance
- School district looks to convert insurance property | Education | newspressnow.com – News-Press Now
- New leader for North Carolina community colleges links education with economic growth – Charlotte Business Journal – Charlotte Business Journal
- Nomination of Miguel Cardona for Secretary Of Education Heads to U.S. Senate – NBC Connecticut
- New chief academic officer to oversee quality education standards – Dayton Daily News