March 12, 2021
Happy Friday everyone. The Legislature has been busy these past few weeks and Thursday was another deadline. I thought it might be a good time to update this roundup I wrote a few weeks ago.
- House Bill 1735, Rep. Sheila Dills’ proposal to increase oversight of charters schools and education management organizations, died in committee.
- Also failing to pass is House Joint Resolution 1036, Rep. Jon Echols’ bill to allow charters to propose bonds.
- House Bill 2078 (replaces HB2241), by Rep. Kyle Hilbert, passed the House and is expected to be heard in the Senate soon. It makes significant changes to the school funding formula, which I wrote about here.
- House Bill 1569, Rep. Jacob Rosecrants’ Play to Learn Act, is alive and working its way through the Senate. The proposal would encourage early childhood teachers to teach in a “fun, play-based way.”
- Senate Bill 783, Sen. Adam Pugh’s bill to expand school transfers, passed the Senate. So did House Bill 2074, a similar proposal.
Other measures I’m keeping an eye on are a package of broadband internet expansion bills – a critical infrastructure need, particularly for students in rural areas.
Coming next week: I’m working on a piece on ways to evaluate a public school besides letter grades. I’d love to hear from you. What measures say the most about a school’s success or struggles? Email me at [email protected]. Have a great week.
- Education notebook – Northwest Arkansas Democrat-Gazette
- California – Ravenwoode: Offering appreciation to health, education officials – Lake County News
- Education News – Texarkana Gazette
- US Department of Education Releases “COVID-19 Handbook, Volume 2: Roadmap to Reopening Safely and Meeting All Students’ Needs” | US – U.S. Department of Education
- The more you learn, the more you earn: education and poverty alleviation in Thailand – UN News
- Dep’t of Education issues emergency order waiving test requirement for seniors, series of adjustments – Florida Politics
- D.C. mayor proposes boost in education spending as she calls on schools to fully reopen in the fall – The Washington Post
- Faculty invited to apply to General Education Scholar Program | Penn State University – Penn State News
- US Department of Education Announces More Biden-Harris Appointees | US – U.S. Department of Education